Shadow map problems

Hi,

One of the graphical problems I see on my rig when playing CM:SF is that the shadows are jagged and sometimes don't touch the object casting them. Here is a screenshot:

shadows.jpg

Having done a little digging I have discovered that this is a well known phenomenon in the game development world known as "shadow map aliasing". Basically, because several pixels of the casting object map to a single pixel of the shadow map, you get a horrible kind of zoomed-in pixelated shadow. The effect is worse when the light source is low in the sky, as it casts a longer shadow. Here is an article about it:

Shadow map aliasing

I would like to know if this is seen by everyone else playing CM:SF or is it just my graphics card? If it is seen by everyone, I would like to know when BFC will improve it? Obviously there are solutions to the problem, as the article above shows.

P.S. - I've also noticed that no shadows are cast by soldiers on rooftops. Why is this?

No, it is not only a problem of your system.

Shadows can become quite ugly in CM:SF.

The also "pop-up" when moving around the map as opposed to "fading in" (like the vegetation does).

It sure would be great if there was some kind of shadow LOD such that the remote trees in your image also cast some form of shadow and the closer ones are rendered in higher quality.

I think that we should define an "optimal" time of day for scenarios that produces the best shadows.

All being said, ugly shadows are better than no shadows at all!

On the other hand, the following image was posted some days ago which does not show serious problems:

2772808150100808906S600x600Q85.jpg

So maybe it *is* our systems after all?!

Best regards,

Thomm

There are many weird graphical things in CMSF, but with all the negative that has been associated with this game, i would have to say i am thoroughly impressed with the graphics. The graphics hold true to the original CM games, and are so much more awesome. I think its like when you hear a guitar and you know what band it is not because of the song, but because that particular guitar has this genuine sound - i see that same evolution in the graphics of CMSF. I like the familiar feel of the grass, even though it isn't the best grass.

Yes I know what you mean, but I have always been of the opinion that some of the basic terrain in CMBB/AK looks a lot more believable and in some ways straight out better than in CMSF.

I refer especially to the tufty brush as well as the little rocks and larger rocky boulders and stuff that made CMAK's deserts seem a lot more satisfying. Little 3-D rocks would add a lot to the terrain in CMSF.

I have to say I agree with Rollstoy that the grass needs shading and it might be this that makes it look odd to my eyes.