MAc OS X game conversion software news (really)

Thanks Jeff and Steve for testing and feedback

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

I went back and found my e-mails from CodeWeavers

regarding CMAK & Crossover

here are the two replies

POST FROM: Ken Thomases

BODY:

Wow, that was strange. I downloaded and installed the (CMAK) demo.

When I run it, it switches to each and every full-screen mode available with my video card and monitor. After that, it puts up a dialog saying it couldn't initialize Direct3D.

Maybe Stefan will know what's going on here.

POST FROM: Stefan Dösinger

BODY:

I didn't try running that game yet, but usually such failures happen when some high level dlls are missing(d3dx9_xx most likely) or d3d calls fail unexpectadely.

Please, please, please ask Charles to make sure CM:SF works on a Mac somehow, if it could be designed so it would run on Crossover, that would be spectacular. (OK, ok I guess the Mac users here will have to admit that they will need a newer Intel Mac to play this game no matter what.)

Thanks

-Tom W

My first choice for non Windows users would be Crossovers, as you don't need Windows.

There was a post over at ArsTechnica from MacWorld that the next Parallels beta in a couple months will be supporting 3d hardware acceleration, so you wouldn't need to reboot to play if you had enough RAM to feed both OSs.

Parallels Interview

I currently expect to be working 90% of the time in Windows, but if I could get Outlook, Word and FileMaker Pro 8.5 working in Crossover, I might switch to mainly running in OSX.

I'm really excited with the way the whole Intel switch has gone for Apple. Our company is a FileMaker solution provider and we will be standardizing on MacBooks from now on so we can develop and test for both platforms. For the casual user that needs one or 2 Windows only programs, maybe Crossovers will be able to allow them to use a Mac as well.

Scott