Probs with Dell Inspiron 4100 GeForce2 Go 17.20

Here we are.

No that I'm smoothly running CM on my desktop, I have it with those weird see through texts on my laptop running XP.

Anyone knows which drivers for the GeForce2 Go Mobile solves that?

Or what things to do to avoid that buggering transparent texts in menus and orders?

Thanks for your answers.

I'd guess that you could install the drivers if they're for the same video chipset. NVidia tends to release near-universal drivers for their chips. I know the GeForce GO family deviated from this a bit, but I'm not sure if there is differentiation in the drivers in this family (i.e. - there are separate and incompatible drivers for the GeForce Go2 and Go4 chipsets).

The link I provided was for a generic Go family driver, which I assumed works with both chipsets. I'm not sure which is the newer or more expensive of those two Dell laptops, but it is possible that the driver shows as being updated for the newer and/or more expensive of those two laptops. If there really is differentiation in the drivers there may be a chance that the drivers won't install once they detect your laptop model (heavy modification of the installer by Dell) or the video chipset (though many installers usually don't do a thorough detection of their environment before installing).

It should work anyways Pawbroon. Since I upgraded to the 4Go I'm using the driver set for the i8200 now without a problem.

When you do try the upgrade don't bother with Dell's installer though as it can screw things up on occasion if you don't have the exact hardware it wants to see.

These aren't the best instructions, but hopefully they'll be enough to get you going...

-Unzip the new drivers somewhere

-Uninstall the old drivers with the add/remove programs.

-Reboot

-When the found new hardware wizard appears pick install from a specific location.

-Then pick Don't Search etc.

-click on Have Disk, and then point it to where you unzipped the new drivers.

-It should install them then. Set your resolution and color depth and Voila...no more text problems.

There is another driver version in the 23.xx series that I know will work with CM and the 2Go also if you use the "Integrated GPU" choice from the list that appears when you install the drivers. I'll look though my old backups and if I can find them I'll send you a link if the 29.60's don't work for you.

Drop me a note at harveyc@sasktel.net if you have any more questions you'd like a quicker answer to.

[edit] I just looked in the drivers and I don't see the 4100 listed specifically, but you should be able to use either the 4000 or the 8000 with no problems.

[ June 29, 2002, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Harv ]

Thanks Harv for the info and links.

I have Dell Inspirion 8100 with a 32Mb Geforce2 GO and XP. The driver link you provided fixed the transparent text problem for me.

- edit -

However, I lose DVD support with the new driver, but I hardly use my computer for watching DVD's.

Rob W

[ July 10, 2002, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: DD_Rob ]