How will airpower be represented?

GSX

In todays effects based and asymetrical warfare, airpower plays a huge part.

We have C-130 Gunships, F-16, F-15E, Navy fighters, B-1 , B-2 et all. And currently there are many of these types right now on CAP over Iraq.

If CM:SF is to be a representation of modern warfare I would expect to see Air power in every scenario and Campaign battle.

How will this instant and extremely acurrate element be moddelled?

I have personnaly seen all of these involved in Iraq and there is almost never a time when ground commanders dont have the option of at least 1 Jet equipped with CBLU, LGB etc.

Will the Infantry Stryker units have a FAC as standard to call in this firepower? Will they be able to Laser designate, or even GPS designate?

A modern battlefield simulation, even in FIBUA will not be complete without effective, 100% kill Airpower.

Originally posted by Dillweed:

My guesses:

AC-130: prolly

f-16: almost certainly

F-15: maybe, this is primarily an ATA fighter, right?

Navy: In USMC module

B-1/B-2: I highly doubt a company commander could call these in for tactical support

A-10: Hope so, but kinda doubt it

The F-15 is definitely an ATA platform. The F-15E (Strike Eagle), however, is designed for ground attack.

And I am with you in hoping the A-10 will be included.

Another question this thread brings up in my mind are helicopters and V/TOL. I believe that only the Marines currently use Harriers and SuperCobras, and likewise the Osprey I think will only be deployed with the Navy / Marines (do I recall correctly that the design issues with the Osprey have been resolved?), so would not expect them until the (I believe theoretical) USMC module. But what about Apache's? Blackhawks?

Edit: Ok, obviously should have searched first. At least one prior-to-CM:SF-announcement post from Steve indicates helicopters are unlikely.

Actually, a B-1 on high-level standby with precision strike munitions isn't too far off of a possibility. It all depends upon the scenario. I could envision situations where the choices left the commander on the scene might be minimal, however, given a "hasty strike" type campaign with assets scattered or otherwise committed (like to protect flanks or trains.)

One thing is sure...except for strafing A-10's, none of these things other than helos will be flying that low. Probably won't see anything to represent them on the ground except the FAC.

Originally posted by NG cavscout:

Several UAV's, the Predator comes to mind, are currently configured to carry Hellfire missiles. The operator could be half a world away, and still put the Hellfire into the side of a T-72 sitting under a bridge in Damascus.

Ah yes, but if a UAV nails a friendly vehicle in a designated training area, does the operator still walk away with a slap on the wrist?

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by NG cavscout:

Several UAV's, the Predator comes to mind, are currently configured to carry Hellfire missiles. The operator could be half a world away, and still put the Hellfire into the side of a T-72 sitting under a bridge in Damascus.

Ah yes, but if a UAV nails a friendly vehicle in a designated training area, does the operator still walk away with a slap on the wrist? </font>