AGP x4/x2?

My system is:

MSI 6431 k7 Master S Motherboard

AMD 1200 (fsb266)

GeForce3 (Visiontek)

My normal BIOS is set to AGP x4. When I try to start CM, I get the resolution screen and my computer hangs on that screen, requiring a reset. When I change my BIOS to AGP x1/2, CM works fine. While I am glad I have found a way to play CM, I do not like having to change my BIOS settings each time I want to play CM. Why is this happening? Is there any other fix that would allow me to keep my BIOS settings at AGP x4? :confused:

What OS are you running, Windows 98/ME or 2000 ? If you haven't already I'd suggest installing the VIA chipset drivers. Changes to the AGP driver are common for several of the chipsets and this may affect your card.

VIA 4-in-1 drivers v.4.32:

http://www.via.com.tw/jsp/en/dr/driver.jsp

Here are some FAQs from Visiontek. IRQ sharing could be a problem in your system (though IRQ sharing is normal, it may be problematic with some setups):

http://www.visiontek.com/support/index.htm

I didn't look closely enough at the Visiontek URL. Go to the "Graphics FAQs" listed in the left hand column and it will give you quite a few more possibilities to check out. One of which is the I/O Voltage (which affects the voltage to the AGP slot). However I don't see such an adjustment/jumper on your motherboard.

Actually your motherboard uses an AMD-761 chipset for the Memory and AGP (the VIA is the Southbridge for IDE, PCI, etc.). Download either the AGP miniport driver for Win98 or the Driver Pack that automatically detects your OS:

AMD Drivers:

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/bin/

You can also play around with the NVMax GeForce tweaker. I couldn't find the download on NVMax's site, but here's one for v. 1.40 (though I don't think it has any sidebanding/AGP multipler settings):

http://www.tweakpc.com/Video.htm

That's an awfully strange solution. The southbridge chipset (that controls the IDE) is the VIA chipset and the northbridge chipset (that controls the AGP & memory) is the AMD, which should have concerned your AGP problem. The 80-wire conductor cable for your IDE DVD drive should only make a difference to the detection and use of the DVD drive (assuming that it's ATA-4 compliant - some are most aren't).

However I won't knock it as the solution to your particular problem since I've seen weirder solutions to problems. The "silicon fairies" strike again.

• 2 weeks later...
redface.gif Problem unsolved. Since my one successful run, the problem returned. I have since learned that there is a problem with the amd 761 chipset/266fsb/agpx4 combination. I reduce the fsb to 200 and the game runs fine. Problem does not appear to be either Battlefront or nvidia, but amd.

I'm not so sure it's the AMD chipset that's the problem. I'm also running on the AMD 761 chipset, with 266 FSB and a GeForce 2 Pro (AGP 4x). I have no problems with CM, though my MB is an Asus A7M266. So it looks to me like it's a MB bios issue. See if there's a bios update available for your MB.

Also, when I installed everything initially, I had to install some Via 3-in-1 drivers, as well as an AGP fix for Windows/AMD. These drivers/fixes were on my motherboard installation CD. Do you have something similar? If you do, uninstall your video card drivers and select the Generic VGA card drivers. Reboot. Apply the fixes, rebooting as necessary. Finally, reinstall the Detonator 6.5 drivers (that's what I'm using anyways). You may also want to reinstall DX 8.0a.

It's also possible that it's an incompatability problem with the GeForce card, or maybe the card is bad? If you have another AGP 4X video card, you could try popping that in and see if you still have the problem. That would at least help you isolate the problem.

Good luck.

BeWary

I now kmow why my system worked fine after I replaced the ribbon cable. During the replacement, I unplugged the power cord. I have since learned that a workaround that works for me is to unplug the power cord after shutting down the computer and then reinsert the plug. When I restart the computer, even hours later, the system works fine in agpx4, fastwrite and fsb 133/266. At least it is not a battlefront code problem and does have a simple work around. Hopefully MSI will fix the problem.

Thank you.