How does one setup an ambush? & Cover Armor Arc?

Originally posted by H.W. Guderian:

Mark, thanks for your contribution.

But, what would have happened if the ATGM team had seen a few grunts within AK range first? Say at "long AK range"?

Would they have popped off a few useless rounds and given away their position when their main job is to try to hide and wait for juicy armor targets?

I'm still baffled why we don't have "cover armor" - especially for Jav teams where the other grunts seem keen to pop off rounds at Red infantry?

But I'm easily baffled =)

This is what I was talking about. I have a Syrian squad and am trying to set up an ambush on a stryker through a keyhole. US infantry squad walks by and the Syrian squad opens fire. I can't seperate out the AT assets. If I hide the squad, they never seem to fire. Without hide, they open up on anything that comes into LOS. In CM1, I would give them an armor CA and be done with it.

I have not tried it with an ATGM team since 1.05.

PS. the Syrian squad was veteran and I am playing WEGO. I haven't tried this in 1.07.

Originally posted by thewood:

CMx1: The only sqds equipped with AT were Late War Germans. All other AT assets were teams separate from the basic squad. Maybe you can answer this for me: Do generic sqds have a cover Arc for armor only? I don't recall it. If my memory is correct than you are up against the same situation in either game.

Mark, you are correct. The generic squads, even with AT weapons in CM1 didn't have a CA armor. I was thinking of the tank hunter teams. I just went back and re ran my test in CMSF and I still didn't get a squad to unhide in CA for an armor attack. I do know as late as 1.05 there were real issues with trying to ambush.

I am going to rebuild the test scenario and see if it changes anything. I built it in 1.04. I don't trust a lot of the earlier scenarios because I see some quirky things happen in some built before 1.05. Ususally when I rebuild them, they are OK.