Three minor issues in v1.08 - and a discovery

Gents,

The continued updated to CMSF are improving the game significantly. v1.08 brings a further level of refinement to CMSF. (I had tried to play v1.01 and then put it away until v1.05 or v1.06, due to the various issues.)

All these issues were in WEGO.

Blast damage to a building wall was visible in playback prior to the "Blast" occurring. In game, the explosion took place about 50 seconds into the turn. In the replay, the destroyed wall was, er, destroyed immediately. The explosion took place at the correct time in the replay.

Similar issue with an ATGM impact crater. The crater was visible in the playback prior to the impact.

Another graphics item: if I plot a series of points for a squad and add commands to the waypoints such as "Face" or "Target Light", those commands are visible, but not the pathing, during replays. With "Face" or "Target Light" impinging on a building, the free floating blue or yellow line will turn the building transparent. These lines are visible, but the waypoints are not.

The next section shows the incredible detail in this game. I thought I found a problem, but it was me.... I've left this section in, with an addendum, to show how incredibly complex the game engine can be. BF.C has done a very good job with this. What follows is the original message I drafted:

Original draft follows:

Finally, using an M1A1SA and "Target Light" an anomoly popped up. I had a pair of them; one was unbuttoned, the other buttoned. Remember, "Target Light" for both.

The unbuttoned M1A1SA showed the loader up out of his hatch. (I did not check the driver.) He operated his MG. The coax operated. The tank commander stayed buttoned up, but the .50 did engage the target.

The buttoned M1A1SA only used the coax.

With the M1A1SA, I thought the .50 cal could be operated while buttoned up. The graphics/game support that with the tank that was UNbuttoned.

Why would the buttoned tank NOT use the .50 when using "Target Light"?

Addendum Further testing....Okay, some more information: using the maintenance status tab for the two tanks, I noticed the buttoned up .50 was greyed out, indicating it was not operational. I then ordered that vehicle to "Open Up" and "Target Light". I ordered the other tank to button up and "Target Light".

Tank "A" was originally buttoned up with the greyed out .50 cal. Tank "B" was "Open Up"-ed with the working .50 cal with the loader up and the tank commander buttoned.

The newly "Open Up"ed tank commander (tank A) popped up, charged the .50, then ducked down. The maintenance indicator for the .50 changed from grey to white. Then the .50 fired while the TC was buttoned up.

The original unbuttoned tank (tank B) fired the .50 while buttoned, then stopped.

I did some ammo counting and found out what is going on.

The .50 can only be used while loaded. The TC will load and charge the .50 when ordered to unbutton. That gives the .50 100 ready rounds. If ordered to "Target Light" the .50 will fire and its maintenance status will be white, until it fires off the 100 rounds. Then the status turns grey. It cannot fire again until the TC unbuttons. If ordered to stay "Open Up" the TC will automatically reload the .50. If ordered to stay buttoned, the TC will NOT expose himself.

If ordered to "Open Up" but with no "Target Light", the loader stays buttoned.

This behavior is outstanding. Fantastic detail in an unexpected area.

(Edited to add: can the tank commander fire the .50 while he is unbuttoned? In game, this does not seem possible. Would there be target acquisition or situational awareness benefits to doing so?

Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to have the loader man his M240 without actively targeting something. Would it be useful to be able to have the loader stay unbuttoned nand manning his MG in some situations in game?)

(Okay, now toss in a request: it would be great if there were some sort of unit info screen available so I could've looked up this kind of operational info.)

(Another item: looking at vehicles' ammo loads, they are in green for the vehicle. Any ordnance carried that the vehicle cannot use seems to be shown in white. Is this correct?)

End addendum

As I said, these are minor. The tank anomoly perhaps having a chance to impact gameplay.

Thanks,

Ken

[ April 04, 2008, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: c3k ]

Originally posted by c3k:

(Edited to add: can the tank commander fire the .50 while he is unbuttoned? In game, this does not seem possible. Would there be target acquisition or situational awareness benefits to doing so?

Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to have the loader man his M240 without actively targeting something. Would it be useful to be able to have the loader stay unbuttoned nand manning his MG in some situations in game?)

Ken

In real life TC can fire the 50 cal buttoned or unbuttoned, he just HAS TO BE unbuttoned to reload it.

When I was a loader manning the loader's M240 was SOP while in convoys, etc, until we got reports of armor in the area