catalyst drivers weirdness

bauhaus

I've had the same problems as others with the new catalyst 3.1 drivers. White text, missing buttons, etc......I decided to reinstall my 3.1 drivers over the top of the non working 3.1 drivers, thinking maybe something didn't get installed. I don't know what happened, but now the game is back to normal with text boxes and everything. Maybe it's a fluke, but it's a fluke that worked. I'm running a 9700 pro by the way.

Interesting Bauhaus.

I'm running a new 9500 pro and the only thing I'm missing is sometime the bottom row of the screen moving view buttons and Fog.

When I first installed the drivers for an older version, I had fog but some poor graphics and lots of "twinkle when I moved". So I upgraded the drivers and now no fog and just this small button problem.

I will try reloading the 3.1 drivers tomorrow.

Egbert - you're saying that you had fog with an ATI card on the PC ? I personally haven't seen this myself. The only time I saw anything close to this was when I was running a Rage 128 Pro under Win98 two years ago. One of the drivers attempted to provide fog-table support - except the entire 3D battlefield in CMBO was solid gray. It was the last time I saw ATI try to support fog-tables in any of their DirectX drivers.

When it comes to driver installations I highly suggest removing the previous set and going to a Standard PCI SVGA driver (or whatever default the OS supports) and after the requisite reboots then install the new driver. Installing a new driver over an old one often causes problems (certain .DLLs don't get overwritten or registry settings remain, etc.).

I'm not sure why a second installation of the Catalyst 3.1's was necessary here. But as long as everything has worked out... what the heck.

Yes, I had fog, and it was perfect but the other graphics were pretty bad.

I was very! surprised after seeing all the complaints here on the issue.

It is Catalyst driver 2.4,

I had DX 8.1 running

pentium 4 2.4GB

.5GB Ram

9550 Pro

Win2k

Standard VGA drivers running on a Viewsonic PF790 Monitor (yeah I know, but now that I have a new PC, I cannot find the correct driver or .inf)

When I installed the 3.1 software and DX 9, the fog went away but the rest of the graphics are much better.

Right now, I do not have a way to check if TCP/IP works. I do not have an opponent I am playing that way right now. The screen pulls up fine and lets me plug in the numbers.

[ February 20, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Egbert ]

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Egbert - you're saying that you had fog with an ATI card on the PC ? I personally haven't seen this myself. The only time I saw anything close to this was when I was running a Rage 128 Pro under Win98 two years ago. One of the drivers attempted to provide fog-table support - except the entire 3D battlefield in CMBO was solid gray. It was the last time I saw ATI try to support fog-tables in any of their DirectX drivers.

I've played tcp/ip against my son using the 3.0 catalyst drivers, but haven't tried with the new ones. I'll try that tonight I hopefully report back.

When it comes to driver installations I highly suggest removing the previous set and going to a Standard PCI SVGA driver (or whatever default the OS supports) and after the requisite reboots then install the new driver. Installing a new driver over an old one often causes problems (certain .DLLs don't get overwritten or registry settings remain, etc.).

I'm not sure why a second installation of the Catalyst 3.1's was necessary here. But as long as everything has worked out... what the heck.

I've had fog too. I think the fog problems existed on the older ATI cards, but not the 9000 and higher cards. People were having fog problems with those cards in America's Army too. And I have huge fog in AA:O. But that's with the 9700 pro. I know people who have the 7500 series cards have no fog.

So you know, I do remove previous versions of the old drivers when installing new sets. Always. But in this case I had the new 3.1 Catalyst drivers installed already and had the problems with the buttons and text. So I reinstalled the <b>same</i> drivers over the drivers that weren't working. That's why I'm wondering if something didn't get installed the first time around, but did the second.

I've also rebooted numerous times after just to make sure everything was cool and the game looks pretty decent now.

Hope this helps.

[ February 20, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: bauhaus ]

Do you have fog now with the Catalyst 3.1's ? I've tried up to the Radeon 8500 with the Catalyst 2.1's and haven't seen fog as of yet. I'm not sure if the differences between the 8500 and the 9000 series would make fog-table/particle fog available (it's a possibility though). Other Radeon 9000 series users on this board have reported no fog however.

I haven't personally run 'America's Army', but it may be using 'vertex fog' which doesn't look as nice as fog-tables/particle fog, but it can work on the Radeons.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Do you have fog now with the Catalyst 3.1's ? I've tried up to the Radeon 8500 with the Catalyst 2.1's and haven't seen fog as of yet. I'm not sure if the differences between the 8500 and the 9000 series would make fog-table/particle fog available (it's a possibility though). Other Radeon 9000 series users on this board have reported no fog however.

I haven't personally run 'America's Army', but it may be using 'vertex fog' which doesn't look as nice as fog-tables/particle fog, but it can work on the Radeons.

I'll check on the fog issue in the next day or two and let you know. I'm not sure what type of fog AA:0 uses. I just know it's a card issue. The older cards for ATI don't render fog, that I do know. But from everything I've read, the new cards have the ability to render fog, and I've seen it in all my games that I play with fog. But, I haven't checked with the 3.1's installed. I will.

Ok, I did have fog....that was until the 3.1 catalyst drivers. Now all fog has lifted. I went into AA:0 and still have fog there, so Schrullenhaft I think you're right. If I really get the time, I'll reinstall the Catalyst 3 drivers to see if the change happened there. Cause I know I had fog, but can't remember if it was with 3 or the 2.5 drivers. At least I have text and buttons and can tell how badly my troops are being butchered.

I played with it a bit more:

re-installed over top of the other 3.1 drivers. No change.

uninstalled, then reinstalled 3.1. All graphics are now good but twinkly.

Changed monitor drivers to more closely match the Viewsonic PF 790. No change.

Altered the refresh rate from 75 to 72 (monitor is acapable of 77). flicker gone, graphics good, no fog.