Graphical wish list

Toby Haynes

I enjoy playing DT a lot. The game play is deep and takes ages to master. One area where I think a little more polish would make a big difference is some small graphical extras:

</font>

• reflective water - at the moment, water simply reflects the skybox. If it reflected the units and the landscape, it would look superb.</font>
  • volumetric fog - this has two possible uses. The first is as an addition to the existing smoke billboards and would help add a more suffocating feel to the dust and smoke. Secondly it could be added to the scenarios as a static addition - low level areas could be misty, for example.</font>
  • Stronger lighting on the objects - many of the buildings look a little flat when compared with the depth of shadow around them. This is one of those areas where a little tweaking might make a big difference.</font>
  • Proper (or better) shadows for trees - trees seem to have next to no shadow on most maps. In my travels through scenario creation, I know that the trees place a greenish texture on the landscape beneath. If that "texture splat" could be darker and placed appropriately for the light position, it would help a lot.</font>
  • Scorch marks/stain maps - HE shells should leave smoke stains on the area where they detonate. Maybe AP/HEAT rounds should too. This would also help identify precisely where a previous hit occurred.</font>
  • Self-shadowing models - the turret of the tank should shade the chassis, for example.</font>

I think that will do for starters :)

Don't get me wrong - I like the way the terrain renders, the HDR effects in the sky really work well and the vegetation looks good. If all the future coding concentrated on gameplay enhancements, I wouldn't complain. I do think that there is some room for minor tweaks to the graphics engine to tie some of the visuals together better (water->land, shadow->lighting, etc. and provide a more immersive view.

Cheers,

Toby Haynes

These are all fine ideas but I would have to all turn them off to still be able to play. Or I go in the other direction and finally buy myself a new computer! smile.gif

Your post got me thinking: what about making a real wishlist for DT? Some really good thoughts get lost in the depth of the forum or simply are forgotten over time.

Prerequisite for that would of course be that Clay actually would want to have that and read it.

Oh, heck yes. We live and die by gathering the demands of players - having an organized wish list from the community is like a dream come true for requirements analysis!

Toby, those are all things that have been on the short list to get to. There has always been "just one more" fix or important feature ahead of them (you know how that goes) but I completely agree with your assessment of these as the things that would most improve the graphics with the least amount of work.