Infantry Strategy & Tactics

Jalinth

Rather then getting it lost in the massive Infantry thread, I've decided to start a thread to talk about how we use infantry. Tricks, Tactics, and amusing anecdotes.

I've posted up some inital thoughts on the Wiki. I know there are numerous holes in subject matter covered, but it works as a starting place for discussion.

http://dropteam.johalla.de/moin.cgi/InfantryStrategy

Thoughts?

I'm glad you think it is useful. I just expanded it slightly. I had left the bit on 'Search and Destroy' pretty skimpy. It has some more meat on it now, though I am not quite happy about it. I may be coming on a bit to strong with it. Still, it's a work in progress.

Does anyone out there who is using infantry care to comment?

I was fooling around with infantry and discovered the following regarding Thors: from the side, two ATG hull penetrations will kill a bot; two turret penetrations on the right side will kill the turret; left side four (iirc--and I think it's because of where the ammo is stored). Five from the rear.

However, it is very easy to miss in combat, especially if you are downhill from the bot or on uneven ground, even while firing prone.

The 20mm HMG squads are great versus Paladins.

Yesterday I was stalking a jittery Mercury that ran around a lot with my rifle squad. I ended up doing a truly inspiring shot with a single ATG from over 400m away, right up its tailpipe - BOOM, gone in one hit.

I had no idea such a thing was even possible.

The page is good. I especially like the part explaining the infantry's capabilities. I don't think you linked the capabilities enough with the tactics. e.g. why are they stealthy? Why are they highly mobile?

I think you left out the magic boots that can scale any surface, too. smile.gif

It should be a good help to beginners, though.

Long range shots with ATGs are great fun.

I have also found that the sides of a Thor are the best place to place your ATGs. I am planning on adding a shot placement article later, assuming no one beats me to it. (I can hope, can't I :D )

I just added a bit more on the armour. It's very rough, as I've got to head out now, but it is yet another start.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Janith, thanks for the DT infantry 101 primer. As more squads are introduced, there will be alot more to add.

One thing right away would be tank-infantry coordination. Proper coordination of your infantry squad with the attack of armored vehicles will allow your squad to maximize its effectiveness. Sneaking infantry close to an enemy position and then waiting for an armored attack to distract them is a good way to set up a close quarters killing spree. A plain ole' rifle squad is the best unit for that. Especially if the bot marines get more aggressive with their ATGs and they all get AT mines as well. (I have been flooding Clay with ideas lately).

I almost exclusively play infantry, to the detriment of my overall contribution to winning I guess, but it is in my blood.

Get Some!