Occupying buildings

ClaytoniousRex

Now in 1.1.3, infantry can occupy buildings. To enter a building, approach one of its entrances just as you do the rear of a Paladin. Press the "special action" key to exit the building. Currently, only the Mu Arae template buildings can be entered (the smaller dark gray ones that are omnipresent in so many scenarios) so you can't enter, for example, the big office complexes in House to House.

Once inside of a building, your squad automatically fires on targets (including the squad leader); you can't manually aim and fire from within. So you might want to TAB away and look around while in a building. You can still issue the Hold Fire command as usual (very useful for letting the enemy close to within ATG range before opening up). Beam weapons and HMG's on the upper stories of some of those buildings have quite a good field of fire. smile.gif

HE hits on buildings have a chance of damaging infantry inside of them. This chance goes up as the building loses structural integrity. Therefore, the bigger, tougher buildings give you more protection to begin with and they give it to you for a longer time. As a building sustains damage over time and gets closer to collapsing the chance of an HE blast hurting the infantry within grows higher. When a building finally collapses any infantry within are automatically killed.

Close combat between opposing infantry inside of a building is not modelled yet (you simply can't go inside with them). :(

Is it possible to target individual members (say, squddies annoying ion) or hurt them with anything besides HE? Ion, HEAT, AP, ect.

I ask in particular because this seems a bit like an instant-win button in an infantry-infantry battle. The guy who gets his infantry man to the building first pretty much controls the area - infantry don't have any way to knock down a sizable structure and probably would take tremendous losses trying to.

For the time being it sounds like when you and and enemy inf are both runnning at the same building but him closer, run away. i imagine many a squad will get chewwed up when ambushed. UI bet this willl make bases quite a bit easier to defend. Cant wait to try it.

Will there be a structural integrity bar for the inf in the building to read?

Is it possible to target individual members (say, squddies annoying ion) or hurt them with anything besides HE? Ion, HEAT, AP, ect.
Yes, other rounds that penetrate the building have a small chance of damaging infantry within, but it's miniscule compared with HE.

seems a bit like an instant-win button in an infantry-infantry battle
It almost is - infantry inside of hard cover vs. infantry out in the open - sucks to be the latter. If you're assaulting an occupied building with infantry (you already know what I'm going to say because I say it all the time), then you should coordinate with a team mate who can fling some HE at the building. HE hits onto occupied buildings do still stun the infantry inside so you can use those brief periods of suppression to advance closer to your goal.

Will there be a structural integrity bar for the inf in the building to read?
Unfortunately, not yet.

s the entering exiting handled like the extracting/vehicle entry? With those all you need to do is get one guy in, and whammo, the whole squad is there.
Yes, it is still that way. Right now we're playing with waiting for the entire squad to form up close to the entrance before allowing them to embark.

what about a second squad trying to get in?
Most of the buildings only allow a single squad inside. Some of the larger ones allow 2 squads, but they have to be on the same team.

Once you get a squad into the building, it get's rather boring for you, at least over the longer term. Do you think one could change things so you can take over a bot once you get your Ion Squad into the enemies central Point Defense Ion Tower? Right now it tells you that you can not, because you are a passenger.

[ August 19, 2006, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Jalinth ]

How do you fire out of buildings? I went into a building and although I still had my target reticle, I couldn't fire or see myself or any squad members.

edit: I read the original post, honest! And then I forgot. redface.gif

[ August 19, 2006, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: konstantine ]

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

Once inside of a building, your squad automatically fires on targets (including the squad leader); you can't manually aim and fire from within. So you might want to TAB away and look around while in a building.

Here you go.