Weather?

BigChiefWahoo

The only thing we're not interested in at the moment is night fighting. We are interested in rain/moisture that can change the friction of terrain types and also cause vehicles to bog (one more perk for infantry). We're also interested in snow, which would also cause slipping. Both rain and snow could randomly occur in scenarios to add some variety to otherwise static environments and they would both reduce max spotting ranges (and also play a role in the new "fuzzy spotting" for bots which Grappler is now completing).

Why no night fighting?
Simply because, when weighed against other things we could apply our limited time and resources to, it's not as interesting as the others. The same basic game, but with glowing green "thermal imagery", wouldn't give as much bang for our development buck as some of these other things would.

Hmm...I see.

The camera view would have to be thermal green, however gun and explosion flashes, fires, battlefield illumination, etc.. make for some eerie sights at night. Thermal decoys, etc would also come into play.

Thermal sights also have a much narrower field of view.

Also, many urban environments would not be all dark, but would still have alot of ambient lighting.

Just some thoughts. Night fighting would bring in different tactics.

While not weather related, what about dense urban enviroments? I would imagine that alot of tech would be available in the cities devestated in the previous wars, making them prime battlefields. Some cities could even be completly blasted and covered in the after effects of a nuclear winter.

While I do not see mech's as a viable weapons platform, here is a cool game video showing some great urban terrain.

Chrome Hounds