New players

konstantine

I was playing on a team with someone tonight who I hadn't seen on the servers before, and he mentioned he was a liability because of his kill:deaths ratio.

I just wanted to point out, if anyone is hesitant to play on the 1.02 servers because they are worried about not being good, it's actually a great atmosphere for new players (or just plain lousy players--I've been playing since the beta and I still suck).

The better players often make suggestions, if not, I ask and they almost always answer. I am learning faster by mimicking their tactics (I don't have the time to learn on my own, so I figure why not learn online).

As far as stats go, even the best players die 8, 12 even 17-18 times a game. The difference is the amount of kills of course--but things like dropping artillery or playing with a mortar vehicle makes a big difference in points.

I just thought I would mention this if it helps to get more people on-line. :D

Completely agree. It sucks to start out...you get killed alot and often don't know what hit you but soon enough you get the hang of it and then only suck at it about as much as I do (which means you are often a pain in the ass to the really good players but that's about it).

I would suggest NOT playing in a mortar vehicle just starting out. Sitting back and safely adding your two cents sounds like a good idea, but you won't be learning the advanced gunnery or manuvering at all. Many times the mortar bug with the short range ammo or point defenses mean you won't be hitting anything anyway.

Get in there and get dirty.

Thank goodness the good players haven't told me to take a hike! No one should feel too shy to jump on a server for a game that's been out for, what, a whole month?

Besides, the group that's drawn to games based on realistic physics and tactics is quite different from the group that's drawn to FPS deathmatch or even, to a lesser extent, CTF or other teamwork-oriented game types. It really is true that I've failed to kill an opponent and had that opponent say that I should have succeeded, and that I should let the developer know! It's an honor-among-professional-soldiers thing, apparently. :)

Hello,

Yeah, I made that comment. Is everyone that you see on a 1.02 server an actual human being or are there automatons that are given ID's to fill up the game with players?

Just curious.

I tried to communicate with some of the players and nobody responded, even after I asked for some sort of response from anyone on my team.

Is it that the players I was on with just don't know how to press the enter key and type something, or was their lack of response their way of telling me to go pound?

Anyway, I really like this game. When I first started playing, I played to kill enemy vehicles. Now I play to actually win the game, gain as many points for my team as possible. I think this makes it more interesting.

I'm going to have to get one of those headsets so I can converse while playing.

For the record, I've never ignored a post from somebody asking for advice or help or even just saying 'yo'. But I know for a fact there have been times when I've been too busy to answer right away, or heading to downstairs to get a beer or take a leak when I have missed comments.

On the other hand, I was heartened by the fact that there were games with 5-6 players pretty much whenever I looked this weekend, hope thats a taste of things to come.