Custom Music

Jalinth

While dropteams music isn't bad, I really don't notice other then at the menu.

What do you like to listen to while sending 120mm HEAT rounds downrange?

As for me, I have a mix. One of the lists I use has such things as

Conquistador - Procol Harum

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Öyster Cult

Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin.

Paint It Black - Rolling Stones

Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

Winterborn - Cruxshadows

Through the Fire and Flames - DragonForce

Another list has the soundtracks from Mechwarrior 2, Heavy Gear, and Robotech.

Thanks to the fact I have a laptop, I use that to play music while I am doing other games. That way I can control exactly what I want to hear without having to either run other software in the background or fiddle with the normally clunky in-game music

It's always been Mechwarrior 2 for me. Never liked the game much but the soundtrack was great. Good to see that in your list, Jalinth!

For those less fortunate than Jalinth who don't have a separate laptop for playing their music, DropTeam will shuffle and play any music that you drop into the \sound\Music folder (must be in .ogg format)...

Mechwarrior 2 was a game that I got before I had a computer that would actually run it. So I got a fair amount of play out of the Soundtrack on the disc. It and the expansion 'Ghost Bear Legacy' have some great music.

As for putting music into the '\sound\Music' folder, I tried it. The only problem is 99% of my music is in MP3 format rather then .ogg, and while good, Divine Divinity just doesn't quite do 'armoured warfare' for me.

I'm sure there is a good reason that MP3's won't work, and so I am curious as to why?

Another thought that springs to mind. Is there any free software out there that can convery .MP3 to OGG?

[ August 25, 2006, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Jalinth ]

mp3 is patented. To legally release any commercial software that decodes mp3 you are supposed to license the mp3 technology. Plenty of software out there breaks the law in this respect and every once in a while they get sued, but only if they dare to actually make enough money to be noticed. Anyway, the chance of getting caught isn't the issue for us as much as the principle.

So we use ogg instead, which is full featured and complete free (free in the IP sense, not just as in free beer) as explained here.

Yes, there are free converters out there and even lots of commercial ones with 15-day free trial periods, etc. I don't remember the name of the one I finally used because I only used it one time to convert my entire library over. smile.gif

Goldwave is a free sound editor that can export to just about any format. You can use it to convert individual mp3 files to ogg.

It's not very useful to convert a whole library, though, as it doesn't have a batch conversion feature (if I remember correctly).

• 1 month later...