combustion in a vacuum

Kessel

Hi,

I am fairly sure this is a physics impossability.

Thus the game literally wont:

get off the ground

move forward

move backwards

Indeed move at all with such a concept.

As if any of you care. I mean a hover tank - 2 ton + of hovering "irridium" etc - gee ..

I think in fact it is a remodelled CB 2 with different names for essentially the T 34 etc.

Sorry if I sound cynical....

No, you don't sound cynical, just monsterously ill-informed.

You might like to specifiy what your problem is, and while your at it, explaining the acronym. CB 2? Is that SB2 (Steel Beasts 2) or CM2 (which could be either CM 2, Also known as CM:BB or CMX2, the new game engine used in CM: Shock Force.)

My suspicion s that you're referring to the use of internal combustion engines. While I feel that this is peculiar - better to run a turbine or somefink - it isn't impossible. No air? Just add oxygen*.

As if any of you care. I mean a hover tank - 2 ton + of hovering "irridium" etc - gee ..
Well, it is a science-fiction game. Note the words 'science', meaning that it is based on plausible technology and the use thereof, and 'fiction', indicating made-up.

* Remember to adjust the fuel proportion down if you're using pure oxygen over air with a 20% mix.

No, it isn't. This is like saying "it's impossible to breath in a vacuum, so this game won't work." If vehicles didn't bring their own air then that would be true. Likewise, if ammunition didn't use its own sealed propellant with oxygen, then it wouldn't fire.

Yeah, I can hear horseback cavalry officers a 150 years ago saying "How unrealistic... a 65-ton metal fighting machine on tracks with 'chobham' etc - gee ... like THAT will ever happen!" So just to be clear, Kessel, if a game models a world where something has changed over time, such as a new means of propulsion that don't exist today, then your response is to roll your eyes and denigrate anyone who wants to play that game?

Sorry if I sound cynical....
Apology accepted. smile.gif

Originally posted by Kessel:

I'm a physics major, and a beta tester, and there's nothing I've seen during testing that makes me think it's impossible or infeasible (except for Clay's gameplay ;) ) *shrug*