t72 bof gone stale

hashmonster

im writing this after playing for a good number of hours and the thing that really sticks out about this game for me is that although the gfx are great, sadly the game is stale as a month old loaf of bread.

the action is extremely slow paced, the infantry move like a old zx spectrum title, and not to mention when in "combat" i was fighting sleep and sadly the game was binned after 2 days playing and that was me been generous giving it that much, it just doesnt feel right in many ways.

a lot of you may disagree with me and start the flaming but who cares, panzer elite kicks this titles ass all over the place least when i was playing that it felt as if i was on a battlefield, lots of things going on all around you.

this titles hype was great but the title failed to transform the hype in a compelling tank sim which a military gamer strives for.

if i was honest this title should never have been released when it was, it dramatically falls short and fails to grip the imagination, not to mention the choice of conflicts to put into a game, cos most of the tensions in the balkans were directed at the civilian populace in general, too many atrocities committed, ethnic cleansing, and the like.

im really disappointed cos this should have been one of the classic titles that would be treasured for years bvut it doesnt shape up. :(

Well, the game was not designed as just eye candy. That eye candy came with alot of emphasis on physics, penetration models and attention to detail to the vehicle models to give the game a certain level of realism not found in any other modern tank sim today (with the very close exception of Steele Beasts, that put more emphasis on tank tactics though. Not to mention the fact you get to play with a T34, T55 and a T72!). Which I think is one of its biggest short comings. If you put alot of emphasis in one area you will subtract from other areas, like a decent campaign engine. A campaign engine is what seems to give a game a certain level a replay-ability.

That being said, what can you expect from a small Russian, independent gameing company without alot of resources to give the game that certain depth?

I think they did a damn good job, considering they didnt have the resources of, say, Blizzard, or some other large company that does it just for the money.

Then again, Im an outsider looking in.

That being said, thanks for keeping the forum alive. :D

When I first played the demo I wasn't too impressed either. But playing the demo again and again I got sucked into the game because many things e.g. *feel* in BoF are just about right imo.

As to the slow pace and scripted campaign, the original PE was just the same and I can remember that the pace of PE was perhaps even slower than BoF.

gunnersman the game is basically just eye candy disregarding the physics engine of course.

and i wasnt talking about one little aspect of bof i was talking about the whole package as a whole which just doesnt all come together as it should do.

and freya i wasnty talking about the demo version i was talking about th efull release if i was basing this on just the demo i most certainly wouldnt have bought this, dare i say it boring title, nice ideas and some nice touches but all in all (im quoting the grolsch advert) it just isnt ready to compete with the big boys

Well, obviously we're sad that you think this way. Personally I do not understand some of the opinions voiced here, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm right and you're not. ("slow paced combat"? we cannot change the fact that combat realistically is not the kind of shootfest of today's FPS games obviously, and especially the comparison with Panzer Elite which had sprites for infantry is kinda funny to me, but I digress...)

sandy, and that's your good right. In fact, we always ENCOURAGE people to try the demo first, and that's stated clearly on every order page and especially pre-order pages. We're too small a company to afford return rights like some big retailers do, and most importantly, we want you to know what you buy before you do. Unhappy customers are not good for anybody, and certainly not for a small indie publisher like us who needs your business to survive.

Perhaps a patch and the internet add-on will blow new life into the game for you. Perhaps the game isn't for you. The demo is out there for everybody to try before making a purchase, and hopefully soon we can squish the random freeze bug, too, as well as address some other issues in a patch...

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Well, obviously we're sad that you think this way. Personally I do not understand some of the opinions voiced here, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm right and you're not. ("slow paced combat"? we cannot change the fact that combat realistically is not the kind of shootfest of today's FPS games obviously, and especially the comparison with Panzer Elite which had sprites for infantry is kinda funny to me, but I digress...)

sandy, and that's your good right. In fact, we always ENCOURAGE people to try the demo first, and that's stated clearly on every order page and especially pre-order pages. We're too small a company to afford return rights like some big retailers do, and most importantly, we want you to know what you buy before you do. Unhappy customers are not good for anybody, and certainly not for a small indie publisher like us who needs your business to survive.

Perhaps a patch and the internet add-on will blow new life into the game for you. Perhaps the game isn't for you. The demo is out there for everybody to try before making a purchase, and hopefully soon we can squish the random freeze bug, too, as well as address some other issues in a patch...

Martin

Any information about when?

Originally posted by Gato:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

Martin

Any information about when? </font>

I side with gunnersman, Moon and Freya. I played T-72 constantly right after it was released. Ran into some glitches, and I dropped it. I decided to get PANZER ELITE fully modded up, and I got Ostpak running, and used it constantly for nearly two months. I prefer T-34s to T-72s, and this was the primary reason I stuck with that buggy mess for so long. I think Battlefront ought to get those Russians to get busy cranking out KURSK. I am a little perplexed by the Yugoslav-centered sim, but here it is, and what we have is truly the finest tank sim we have to date for the general public. When I first started using T-72, I was getting an enormous kick just from driving the T-72 all over the countryside. When the T-72 tipped into an antitank ditch (I didn't realize they were SO deep!), I was tickled pink---great authenticity. The big firefight scenario blew my mind: sparks flew from non-penetrating hits on my own T-72, clouds of dust and smoke each time the 120 fired, and dust "smoke screens" when I reversed at high speed (a great way to get out of Dodge fast)---this sim was "immersion" personified. PE Ostpak is not even remotely in the same class with T-72. I recently played an Ostpak-enabled scenario of PE with a platoon of Shermans. They were in line and two Tiger Is ambushed us from the left flank from undulating terrain (that's how they got so close). The range quickly fell to about 50 yards. One of my Shermans changed position by moving right across the front of the cats with its flank exposed at about 25 yards---and lived! I was able to completely change the facing of my platoon under fire by the Tigs, and my own Sherman was hit repeatedly by 88 rounds at about 50 yards range! After about five minutes BOTH Tigers blew up at once---not one of my Shermans was destroyed or damaged! When I and another player noted a number of ludicrous events such as the above on the PE Boards, the chief modder's response was that all were perceptual problems! T-72 has its quirks, but, at least the physics seems to be as good as it gets, and the designer did candidly admit the physics are not real world. I welcome T-72 as, I hope, the leading edge of a new era of armor games. It is the only mass-market armor sim which does for tanks what Il-2 did for WWII aircraft.

[ September 12, 2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: tankski ]

Well if it matters to anyone:

Computer Gaming World rated T-72 with 3.5 out 5.

Essentially, "A diamond in the rough."

Now if can only download the demo (the hosting site is down...).

I agree with the comment of Tankski with Panzer Elite. I tried it at E3 and didn't like the idea that my single Sherman could destroy the big German Cats...

A MK4 here

A MK4 there

A Tiger over yonder

Yadda Yadda Yadda

Originally posted by tankski:

Well, he said fatalistically, if this one bites the dust there is always the upcoming STEEL BEASTS 2, and a band of Russians modded OPERATION FLASHPOINT into a WWII East Front tank, gun, and infantry simulator---see: "Liberation 1941-1945": http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?special=articles/mods.html#12

Oh cool! Thanks Tankski. I was not aware of this mod for Operation Flashpoint. I havent played OF in forever. I will have to check it out.

Is it the same game with Eastern Front figures or is totally different, different scripts, different objects. Is it a game all its own with the OF engine?