Hmmm - what happened

Tried the initial demo and, after a bit of getting used to it, I liked it and hence - ordered it. Saw there was a demo patch for dogfight so I got it.

1) First attempt - started "dogfight" - immediately started to move and turned left. Bam... I was dead.

2) Second attempt - started "dogfight" - immediately started to move and turned right - Bam... I was dead. (I still had not even seen the Leopard and from the unpatched demo I knew where he was)

3) Third attempt - started "dogfight" - immediately started to move - turned left - went as fast as I could. Great I have lasted over 10 seconds. Slowed and switched to gunner view (from TC). Bam... I was dead. Well I least I lasted 20 seconds. Am I having fun yet?

Please help and tell me this is not what I will experince in the real game. Thanks...

What do you guys to to make the game... well... last 30 or 40 seconds? (I really do like many things about this sim so please help)

Rusted, from my experience the Leo crew will ID you and open fire long before your TC can spot him. They're rated as Veteran while your crew is Recruit.

Here's my experience: floor it, get into 3rd gear as fast as you can and get moving full throttle. You can race straight forward and to your left, which will hopefully keep you moving fast enough that the Leo won't hit you AND will get you to cover. There's a small rise that you'll get below if you do the above.

Your other option is to navigate more-or-less hard left with some zig-zagging to keep the hits off, but expect to be hit once or twice. When performing the above I usually get hit, but not killed.

Further, I would NOT rate this engagement as "typical" simply due to the starting positions. No one has to find the other, you simply start within line-of-sight and the better crew with better long-range equipment will get you if you don't get moving quickly.

So far, once I've moved off the initial start point and gotten a few seconds to recover, I've been able to reliably beat the Leo. It will continue closing with you, which really makes your job a lot easier. First, you have less range than he does so his closing helps. Second, he's moving and (generally) I'm not once I get out of the initial hotspot. This is huge, as most of his shots then pass by me or are glancing blows. It may have something to do with positioning, but honestly I haven't had the time to really check since I'm busy trying to bag him first ;)

Also, if you're in the grass and having trouble seeing, you can switch to the night vision. I don't know if it's a bug or intentional, but there is no grass in that view which makes your life as a gunner a lot easier.

HTH smile.gif