Hopping from tank to tank?

Is it possible to hop from tank to tank in your formation?

In any game, the AI is limited, limiting the potential of platoon vs platoon games. However, if you can jump to any member of your platoon, then you can get some pretty darn good action out of your team. We had an absolute blast doing this in Ghost Recon: each player had 9 guys, you'd order the AI to simply position, then you'd hop in when it was critical.

I think herr Moon has all ready said NO!

Pretty sure we get some control of waypoints of other units but no jumping to a specific unit. Could be wrong but that is my understanding. I do like that idea and it would be great but I don't think we get that in this game. The repair feature should help you limp along until the death blow whipes you out.....I hope.

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

I think herr Moon has all ready said NO!

Pretty sure we get some control of waypoints of other units but no jumping to a specific unit. Could be wrong but that is my understanding. I do like that idea and it would be great but I don't think we get that in this game. The repair feature should help you limp along until the death blow whipes you out.....I hope.

Oh darn. It would be fun to play out even after you die. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard to do, provided all the tanks in your squadron are supported types...

The "repair feature" only works for damaged tracks AFAIK. Other systems remain damaged.

Other than that, mike_the_wino is right. You cannot jump to another unit. I agree that it might have been fun to play on AFTER you're dead, but the kind of jumping that Ghost Recon allows would have been bad IMO. Part of the fun and challenge IS to play with a damaged tank. The damage system is pretty detailed, and it can be real fun to "limp" along with a damaged turret drive or engine or gearbox or an incapacitated crew member.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

I agree that it might have been fun to play on AFTER you're dead, but the kind of jumping that Ghost Recon allows would have been bad IMO.

Hello there! Thank you so much for responding!

I completely agree that managing a damaged tank is quite appealing; however, I'm thinking more in terms of multiplayer. I believe that the "hopping" ability in GR makes human squad vs squad combat possible: without it, people pretty much ignore the AI tanks and do everything they can to kill the one human vehicle. Tactics become unrealistic: you treat your AI like fodder because you know your tank is the only one that's going to do anything. If you can hop, then the AI need only be good enough to follow basic directions and hang on when you're not there. If you cannot hop, then the AI has to be every bit as creative as a human to prevent degeneration of squad tactics into one on one with a bunch of excess targets wandering around.

A second argument is more prosaic: once a guy is killed, then there's no point to him staying on the server. This will depopulate a server down to 2 players in very short order.

Maybe the solution could be a server setting that enables or disables hopping?

sightreader, all good points. Unfortunately, hopping takes more than a bunny... err... I mean, more than just a server setting. At the current stage, it would have to be coded into an existing program structure, and that's something that makes programmer hairs turn white and then fall out smile.gif

No bunny hopping I'm afraid. Or at least not until we could consider a serious add-on, but for that we first need to release 1.0 smile.gif

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Unfortunately, hopping takes more...

Oh, of course I understand that. I just wanted to convince someone in da know that this feature has serious market value if advertised correctly. GR had it, but it turns out that VERY few players are aware you can play this way. Everytime I play a squad game, people are like, "wow... where did you get this mod?"