Unhandled Exception error with CMAK.

Dogface

Hey I tried to email support@ but my stupid ip will not resolve :mad:

Dear Battlefront,

I have been experiencing problems with my computer as of late. Most if not all 3d games crash on me. Except for CMAK. until today. Any info you can supply would be just peachy

the error I received was

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Unhandled Exception : c0000005

At Address : 6d913fd7</pre>

Many of the 'Unhandled Exceptions' that start with the address of 'c0000005' are often related to DirectX. Do you know what version of DirectX you're running ? Which Windows version are you running ? You can download DirectX 9.0c from here (~ 34MB).

Other times this error can just be an indication of problems with the drivers (which are usually interacting with DirectX). After installing DirectX 9.0c (and rebooting), you may want to uninstall your video driver (from the 'Add/Remove Programs' control panel). However instead of reinstalling it immediately, you'll want to reboot and have Windows install whatever it has by default (which shouldn't be anything to my knowledge with a FX5700). If you're running any video utilities, you'll probably have to uninstall them too (Powerstip, RivaTuner, etc.). You need to get a 'clean slate' to install drivers. Before installing also disable your antivirus software to make sure it doesn't interfere with the installation. In fact try to close as many background utilities as possible before reinstalling the drivers.

Also double-check for any other older video drivers you may have installed (if you had other videocards in this system).

I couldn't find a plain GA-7DX motherboard on Gigabyte's website. I did find the GA-7DXE. If this is your motherboard, you may want to update the northbridge chipset driver, which is an AMD 760 series. You may also want to install the latest VIA chipset drivers (get v.4.43 or 4.56v).

There could also be issues with the audio driver, which I assume is a VIA AC'97 solution on that board unless you have a PCI soundcard. You can use either the codec provided by Gigabyte or the one the one provided by VIA (which is newer).

oh ya sorry

XP pro sp2

directX 9.0c

AMD-761 north bridge

I will install the drivers you linked to.

The GA-7DX is here

This is after a fresh install. My computer started acting funny around 2 months ago, and im trying to figure out the problem. In the FPS games I play (DOD, UT2K) it either chokes when trying to compute what other players are doing, or just crashes to desktop. So far CMAK has been trouble free. Until the latest reinstall. Now I have this error.

When you reinstall, is this "clean" or is it over a previous installation that is still present ?

Double-check your on-board audio. The GA-7DX has an optional Creative CT5880 (which Windows XP should auto-identify). This sounds like what you may have when you mentioned a "Creative sound card". I'm not sure if these MSI CT5880 drivers are any newer; if they are they may be worth trying too.

You may want to experiment with some settings in your CMOS/BIOS setup. In the "Advanced Chipset Setup" menu check the settings for "AGP Aperture Size" (set to 128 or 256MB), "AGP Fast Write" (defaulted to ENABLE and the FX5700 should support it, but you may want to experiment with DISABLE), "AGP Mode" (default is 4X, which is what the FX5700 should use, but experimenting with 1X/2X may be helpful), "AGP Always Compensate" (defaulted to ENABLED, not sure how useful DISABLED is to experiment with).

Other settings to experiment with are your memory timings (also in the "Advanced Chipset Setup"). Typically most errors associated with memory timing setup would be blue-screen unhandled exceptions, but occasionally they can be more subtle than that. Generally a "DRAM timing setting by" of AUTO should work fine, though I have seen situations where the memory or the motherboard couldn't work with the SPD values and they had to be manually adjusted for stability.

It was a "clean" install after a gdisk (0 the partitions and wipe the MBR).

onboard audio is disabled

Sound card is a PCI soundblaster 5.1 or somesuch.

Aperture size is 128

All others are at Default

As far as the memory goes I ran Memtest 86+ for 5 or 6 passes and it checked out ok.

I havent seen a BSOD yet, just crashes to desktop, FPS games unplayable and the Unhandled Exception Error generated by CMAK. (Ive ran CMAK 3 times since and no problems)

The computer was cobbled together from mostly used parts (most from a counter-strike server) so the MOBO and CPU are kind of suspect.

Thanks for the help Schrullenhaft.