Mac OS 9 Plea for Help

OK, I've given up on trying to run on OS X on my 12" Powerbook and installed the software on my 1998 vintage G3/233 Beige Minitower. It has 354 MB of RAM and is running OS 9.2.2 - the same OS I successfully ran CMBO on on my G3/333 Powerbook for about a year.

Here is the problem. I get the game to load, choose a scenario, go through the briefing stuff and see the "Loading 3-D Graphics" screen but then when the actual game screen loads, the program quits. I don't get a "quit unexpectedly" error either. I have now done a clean install of the OS thinking something was wonky there and the symptom persists.

Any ideas what is going on? Do I need to run out and buy a new graphics card? I am using the onboard graphics card (RAVE 128, I believe).

I love this game and it has been torture not being able to play it the last couple of months.

Thanks,

Tom Haymes

haymest@globalsynergies.com

Even with the 6MB upgrade, it isn't enough to run CMBB. I know. I tried with a similar setup. I got really strange video effects due to the limited memory.

What I did was to transfer a ATI RAGE Orion card from my OS X desktop machine when I upgraded the video card on that one. It is a 16MB card. It isn't currently offered for sale anymore, but you might be able to locate a used one. In any case that card will run CMBB fine (although I haven't tried any truly humongous battles).

ATI currently offers a Radeon 7000 PCI card (You will need PCI, not AGP) for $129, which might be a bit more than you want to pay.

I'm not familiar with nVidia cards at all, so I can't say what would work there.

To my knowledge, there are no nVidia PCI cards for mac, so that's not a problem. ;)

I'd suggest any ATI PCI card with 16MB's or more.

The suggested 7000 or Rage Orion would both be fine.

BTW, if you're interested in upgrading the Beige otherwise, Sonnet has a bunch of impressive upgrades availlable. Like a G4 processor upgrade at 1GHz. Some relatively cheap stuff too.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/configurator.html

If I had an older G3, I couldn't resist stuffing it full of Ram, adding a decent graphics card and a processor upgrade.

[ May 13, 2003, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Jarmo ]

Thanks for all of the good advice. I am currently prowling the bargain bins for a used or clearance ATI card with 16 MB on it. I hppe that will get me through CMAK which is what I really want to make sure of. The gol is to make all of this work long enough for the guys here at Battlefront to come out witht the OS X compatible game.

Thanks again.

Tom Haymes

haymest@globalsynergies.com

Jarmo, thanks a lot. The main issue for me is how it performs with CMBB. I know from Makjager that the AGP32MB 7000 performs well, but unless he sells me his, there seems to be no way to get one. Actually, just checked, and since I need ADC connectivity, the only option is the 9000. Hmm, more thinking required.

Originally posted by Andreas:

... since I need ADC connectivity, the only option is the 9000. Hmm, more thinking required.

I'd avoid the 9000 for now. Seems it's the main problem behind the "psychedelic graphics" problem some seem to be enjoying.

BTW, as far as joining the darkside is concerned maybe when they can make a laptop like my 12" Powerbook with internal DVD-burner (4.6 lbs.) - then I'll consider it. The mere fact that I still use as my server/desktop unit a computer (my beige G3/233 minitower) that was built in January 1998 also says something. What kind of PC is that vintage and is still usable? I think we are talking Pentium 200 or so? I have a Pentium 2/450 HP Kayak that is a year newer that is collecting dust because I haven't been able to find use for it since my wife gave up Autocad. I'm not even going to mention the 7100/66 that served me well for 8 years until I retired it a couple of months ago in favor of a wireless hub (I guess I just did).

I guess it depends on how you like your bread buttered.

TH

Originally posted by Tom Haymes:

Has anyone tried a 3dfx Voodoo3? I found one used for $39 with 16 MB onboard. $39 - sound like a good deal?

Thanks,

TH

Not sure. I have a vague recollection of Voodoo + CMBB not working,

so I didnt recommend it. But I'm not sure. Would make a fine card

otherwise, as long as there's no intention of moving to OSX.