Sound Volume...

The problem that I seem to be having is that every time I start CM, it insists on turning my Wave/Direct sound volume all the way up, and I cant seem to figure out how to avoid it. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, It's really stinkin' LOUD when the wave volume's all the way up. I turn it down because my buddy insists on turning the speakers up way high, and with a front and rear channel, it's hard to balance them, so I don't want to futz with the speaker volume controls. Short of muting the volume, turning the wave/direct sound volume down is the only way to get a "reasonable" volume level. Sorry if I rambled on.

El Jeffe

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to continue....

Guest Big Time Software

CM does indeed 'max' the volume. This was because some testers had it unintentionally set too low. Microsoft techs actually suggested that we max it, figuring that many people had their volumes set low (in software) and didn't even know it.

Most people I know adjust speaker volume with the knob on the speaker itself. You guys don't/can't do this?

Charles

I explained in my initial post why I couldn't futz with the volume controls. I have a 4 speaker setup, the front two (W/sub) are attached to the "Front" channel on my SB Live! The back 2 (on an 8-Track Stereo reciever!) are plugged into the "rear" channel. It took a lot of time to balance the front and rear just so, so I'm not inclined to mess with it. Now, I don't expect you to change this because of just myself, since I'm sure that 90% of the gaming population doesn't have this problem, I was just curious whether it was intentional or a buggy. As it stands now, I have to mute the volume, start CM, minimize it, open the volume controls, turn the Wave/Direct sound volume to halfway, unmute it, then re-maximize CM. Pain in the butt, granted, but I'll deal with it. Thanks for the reply, And thanks for this DOCTOR-BAD-ASS GAME!

El Jeffe

Georgii2222@hotmail.com

Jeff Ital

Fenton, MO

I can adjust the volume on my speakers but the sound is still overdriven sounding, fuzzy, pops, etc. Maybe I need to adjust some of the software controls? I'll try that, might just be a matter of turning the master volume down.

Thanks

I don't like to mess with the volume control for the same reason Georgii states. But it's worse in my case... my system runs through a 250 watt stereo amp to four real speakers -- BIG speakers. This makes for really cool sound (artillery is great through 2x15" and 2x10" woofers) but when I forget to mute it when I start the game, it's almost painful... I'm amazed to discover this was intentional, I was sure it was a bug. I've done tons of close-in work with Microsoft... you've got to take PSS suggested work-arounds with a grain of salt (I think some of those guys mostly just want to get off the phone and rack up another "closed" support item...)

I can't turn down the sound volume anywhere else because I use headphones for gaming, and the volume is unbearably loud if I don't turn the wave AND global sound card volume all the way down. I really would appreciate having the possibility to adjust the volume in-game.

Dschugaschwili

[This message has been edited by Dschugaschwili (edited 07-04-2000).]

I have 3 computers installed on a home network all in one room. As you can imagine, with the desks, etc. things are fairly tight. My speakers don't exactly have easy access to them, but if that's the only solution, then I guess I'll deal with it.

It's unfortunate there isn't volume settings in CM like in every other game I have and the volume gets maxed out intentionally. I have the volume level of my speakers set properly for all other games and then CM comes along and blows me out of the seat. It's the only one I have an issue with, but I'll survive.

Guest Big Time Software

OK, I will remove the code that 'maxes' volume. You'll have to set the volume from your desktop, not within CM though.

Coming in the v1.03 patch...

Charles