TCP/IP Problems

bobo

Greetings,

I am having problems connecting to others to play

IP games in CMBO and probably CMBB demo as well.

I am on a cable modem and have played at least

one game on TCP/IP but I believe that was before

I installed ZoneAlarm. I am able to ping known

open game IPs, but CM will always repond with

a cannot connect to IP error. I have tried

disabling ZoneAlarm but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bobo

I would suggest uninstalling Zone Alarm for now. You may also want to check for the latest version since Zone Alarm updates the freeware version every so often.

Are you giving out the correct IP address for your network connection ? Do you use a router to hook up to your cable modem or does it hook up directly ?

You can use this webpage to confirm your external IP address. This is the IP address that you need to give out for your TCP/IP games in CM.

Rather than disable Zone Alarm have you uninstalled it ? I suddenly had problems with my TCP/IP connection awhile back and I had to resort to uninstalling Zone Alarm to restore things. However one difference is that you are still able to Ping, etc. whereas I wasn't able to.

Are you using a router/switch with your cable modem ? Some of these models have built-in firewalls that may block higher numbered IP Ports (CM needs Port 7023 open). This usually isn't the default configuration for most routers, but it may be something that you want to double-check.