no cd detected?? o_O

Did you just recently insert the CDROM into the drive before starting up CM ? If so, then the CD drive hasn't had time to spin the CD up to speed for reading and hence CM will not recognize that the CD is in the drive for copy protection purposes.

If the CD has been in the drive for a few minutes and you still get this problem, then check to see if you can actually read the CD in the file manager/explorer. Is this a copy of the CD or the original CD ? Some CD copies may not be written correctly for copy protection purposes.

You can delete your Prefs file to see if this makes a difference, but I don't know why it would. CM should recognize the CD being in any drive that's accessible. The version shouldn't make a difference.

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Sometimes I have to open the "My Computer" window and hit F5 to refresh. This should always refresh the icon for the CD (in essence, Windows redetects the CD in the drive). If it doesn't show the correct icon, then right-click on the CD-drive icon and "eject" the CD. Reinsert, wait for it to spin up, and hit F5 again to refresh.

I have to do this sometimes, and I don't know if it's a quirk of Win98SE or my drive. I think it's my drive. I have a Pioneer DVD 114.

Hope that works for you.

BeWary

I can only think that you must have a sensitive CD Rom Drive, i have 2 computers here, in each i have 2 CD Drives (One DVD and one CDRW) I made a disk copy of my CM so i can play on my LAN, the copied disk plays in 3 of the 4 CD Drives, it refuses to play on my Toshiba DVD Rom drive, i switch the 2 CD's from one PC to the other and its ok. The Toshiba always asks me for the CD Rom insertion even though the disk is in the drive - the same problem you have.

All i can suggest is to either Copy your original disk and try the copy, or try another CD Rom Drive.

CDIC

PS. The copied disk worked fine for one year in the Toshiba DVD Drive, for some reason it started playing up last month - i don't really know why.

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: Captitalistdoginchina ]

What OS are you running ? Re-download the CM 1.12 patch. Delete all of the files in the CMBO root directory (but obviously not the directories themselves). Delete your shortcut that you use to launch CM. Extract the 1.12 patch; make sure that it is installing to the correct directory if you're not using the default directory. Re-create your shortcut with the new executable. Hopefully this should work. If not then there is something wrong with your system or the downloaded patch.

CD-R's are different from standard, silver-colored, manufactured CDROMs. They use a dye in the substrate to alter the reflective properties; while a manufactured CDROM actually has the pits built into the aluminum reflective surface. Older CDROM drives (and I've seen this with some older Toshibas myself) have a hard time reading the dye-based CDROMs because their lasers don't do a good job with reflecting/deflecting with the dye (not a broad enough laser light frequency ?). Almost any CDROM drive that is 16X or faster should be able to read CD-R's, but that isn't consistently true (and there are some variations with CD-R's that prevent every drive from reading them). I've also seen DVD drives have a problem with some CD-R's.

I had the exact same problem a while back. Installed the upgrade and bam, "cannot read cd-rom, please insert the correct cd-rom." I just said screw it and reinstalled. BTW, how can i change the resolution? It gives u the option of which resolution u want when u install the game or get a new graphics driver. Anyway to change resolution? Meaty

Edit - Uh... I see you got your answer in another earlier thread.

MeatEtr - you need to delete the Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs file in the CMBO directory (which is defaulted to the C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO). When you launch CM again you will be prompted for the resolution to run at, starting with your current resolution and refresh rate (though there is a possibility that it may start out with a refresh rate higher than what you're currently running). If you don't select (or if you manually skip) the resolution the next lower resolution and/or refresh rate will be offered.

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Hi, I just bought the program and to be honest had REAL problems with it!!!! BUT and I happy but I solved the problem...

ONLY run the game fron the CD I repeat the CD icon!!!!!! It runs perfectly thereafter!!

Good luck and hope this helps you!!!!

Took me a while to figure it but am now a VERY happy tank commander lol :D

What exactly do you mean, "From the CD icon"? Do you mean only use the autoplay of the CD? I don't remember if the CD even has autoplay. I never use autoplay.

If you could be more specific on how you got it working, it might help us get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,

BeWary