Which graphics card to buy (PCI type)

The Guillemot Cougar PCI should work for you. They have a 32Mb version and it is based on the TNT2 M64. One version even has video capture (at a higher price though). To my knowledge it should support fog and transparencies properly.

I can't remember whether or not any problems exist with the Voodoo 3's latest drivers. If not then a Voodoo3 2000 PCI should be an economical purchase.

Check out Pricewatch (at the main page go to Multimedia > video cards, then select PCI from the list on the next page):

http://www.pricewatch.com/

You can find some good prices there, but be weary of whom you purchase from. Many companies charge outrageous shipping fees, get orders wrong, have bad return/exchange policies, are slow in shipping your order/backorder or lie/don't know about their actual stocking of the item. A good site to check out the reliability of an on-line merchant is Reseller Ratings:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

The site seems to be uncharacteristicly down at the moment however.

Cards based on the TNT2's and maybe Voodoo3's (of which only 3dfx should be selling) would be your best bet for PCI.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-16-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yakstock:

I think I now know enough to know I need a PCI type card & that it is not the most popular type (versus AGP). What are some good choices in the low to medium price range that will allow fog, etc. to work for CM.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run a AMD 6K at 450MHz and I just installed a nVIDIA TNT2 M64 with 32MBs of RAM and it works great.

Shop around for the best deal. You should'nt have to pay over $100.

Wayne

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.