Only 1 plane/Nation..

Second Front

"And you don't need ten hours in the full version, Jack. We've tested and balanced the progression through the levels quite a lot during beta testing, and from what I recall (thought it's quite some time ago) it only takes around 5-10 games to reach level 2,"

The problem is, it take 5-10 games with 4 sets of pilots (because of fatigue). So really we're talking 20-40 games. So far in 10 games, I have shot down exactly ONE enemy aircraft with these fine Gladiators (and that was with a "Destroyed" card).

It's not like I've never played before - I play nearly round the clock during ConsimWorld Expo, and I've been the "Ace of Aces" runner-up two years running. I train a lot of new players at CSW, and I'd never start them with a 0 burst aircraft.

And let me say I fully understand the whole ladder/XP thing while ONLINE. But offline - this isn't the same as a FPS with a big buildup at the end (or at least, doesn't have to be). I was really hoping this would be a great way for me to get in a dogfight or two every week between work and school. But instead, I have to "prove myself worthy" to have a decent dogfight. So it'll be at least a couple of weeks - providing those pilots live. And then I'll have to do it all over again with the other 3 nations.

It's just extremely disappointing. I understand (now) that the focus of this game is online play. So I guess it just isn't for me. I don't have the time to hang in the lobby and look for a game (when I tried in the past, I found that people pretty much already had their preferred partners set up. If I'm lucky, I have 30-45 minutes or so to spare between work/homework/other family responsibilities.

No - you get very little fatigue with low level pilots and can often fly 2-3 sorties without any penalty - then you get it all back with 1 sortie by 1 other pilot.

so you only need 2 pilots to get to the 2nd or perhaps even the 3rd level.

So getting 1 pilot to level 2 might only take 8-12 missions even with breaks to recover fatigue. Possibly even a few less.

It's not really time consuming at a couple of minutes each.

And it ensures you learn the game at a stage when one mistake isn't likely to get you shot to pieces, as can happen very easily higher up!!

And you don't have to "prove" anything - I find the low level aircraft often have the most interesting dogfights - the high level ones all have lots of cards - it's power gaming after a fashion.

I'll happily play you with a Gladiator or a 109B - I find them heaps of fun and very thought provoking to use properly.

alas though I've played so much I don't have any level 1 pilots left any more!! :(

And if yuo can't get games vs people then play the AI!! That's what it's there for - a 45 minute session should give you 2 pilots at or above level 2!!

So some of us have asked for a "pickup" type game - where you can "build" your own pilots up to a points limit, and play without that pilot being recorded for fatigue/experience purposes. I think this would meet your needs.

Dan seems amenable to this, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

nothing is going to happen overnight - except you can play some games.

It doesn't matter how much you complain, the game isn't going to be good enough for your requirements tomorrow - please save us all a bit of time by understanding that!

[ October 12, 2005, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Jack,

I have no idea what Ace of Aces is but I do know from being online a lot lately that there are certain hours where its busier than others. I never notice the "people who already have a game setup" online, and I think when the game gets in more peoples hands that this will change for ya.

Since I am always online, when I get the game (which hasnt come yet) I will be more than happy to shoot you down in any scenario we play. smile.gif j/k

My advice is to play the American planes when you are starting out though as they can take a few more hits usually. I still have problems lvling the Germans and Brits in the demo and am not looking forward to the Gladiators.

Good luck and watch your Sixx.

-Ray

• 2 weeks later...