I can't play online against others or Campaign against AI

Bill Bishop

Hi I was wondering why I can't start an online game against other players? I select start an online game but after selecting my planes and elevation, I wait for another person to join and it just goes into a game against ai?

As for campaigns against the AI I send my planes to locations hit execute and then when I select play a mission all I get is my name then a blue screen with no planes!?!

If this went Gold I guess I'' have to pass as online play is why I was going to purchase the game...

Cheers, Bill

[ August 18, 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Bill Bishop ]

Campaignsd are being worked on as some code changed on the latest server upgrade. As for the online game, you are hitting start before anyone else joins in. Wait for the others to join the game, once they are in, then hit start.

Rune

I disabled my firewall and I can get the campaign to work. Any suggestions to allow the two computers to "talk" back and forth without disabling the firewall completely?

[ August 19, 2005, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Shades ]

Dan, tried it yesterday and things look fine.

Played a couple of single missions and a campaign.

Though I do get booted off the server occasionly, if I don't do something in the lobby do you eventually get booted from the server for inactivity?

I am still debating to place an order?

Would you guys consider a download option to buy the game?

It seems like it wouldn't be that large a download.

Thanks, Bill

>Depending, on your firewall, you might be able to allow specific programs access to the internet.

In this day and age, a networked program needs to be a lot more robust. Firewalls are a fact of life, and anything that's "depending on your firewall" isn't good. I tried watching ports to see what I needed to open up to make this thing work properly, and the conclusions I came to were

1) It's probably too many to do.

2) Even if I could, it would open me up too much.

This Will Not Do.

Lets see, you need port 8080 open. That's it. Depending on the firewall means if it is software or hardware. programs like zone alarm you need to tell it allow access, ditto with mcafee's firewall. hardware firewall is a single port. Sounds robust to me.

Rune

I don't think so - I've already done that. I've observed traffic coming back on other ports (in the 40000 range, at least some of the time) trying to get to me when I try to host a game. The firewall doesn't know where that should be going, but I'm pretty sure it's trying to reach me from one of the DiF servers.

If it actually worked reliably, it would be robust. I have port 8080 open (hardware firewall), and when I connect to a game, I have about 10-15 seconds until I get timed out if it doesn't start. I effectively can't host a game, because it takes people longer than that to find it, pick a pilot, and join. There appears to be something else going on during the pre-start phase of the game, but I'm not sure exactly what.

I run both a hardware and zone alarm pro, and have only opened port 8080 and can host games with no problem. I will try with McAfee's tonight when I get home and see how it does. I have kept games open for hours. Will do some testing tonight and see what I come up with.

Rune

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rune, how are you?? Have you had any luck with McAfee?? I cannot stay logged on for more than a minute or two without losing connection. I've tried the demo campaign and made it to turn 2 with great difficulty. I tried disabling my McAfee firewall software and I had the same results. I'm guessing disabling should allow anything through--no??? I'm really starting to like the demo now, but am still on the fence due to these issues. thanks.

edit: Forgot my specs:

Win XP 3.4Ghz, 1G RAM

Linksys wireless router.

[ September 15, 2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Airborne ]

I usually only get 1 successful connection (ie I can actually play a game) out of maybe 5-6 attempts - the others the game usually gets as far as the dogfight screen, but then stops - the planeds all appear but there's no action, and I get fatigued for a mission :(

When I do get a successful connection & can play it often eventually locks up as above sooner or later.

I'm running Zone Alarm, the 2 DIF prog's are allowed trusted internet access.

Airbourne,

Loaded the game and played with the McAffee firewall on, all I had to do is hit grant access twice, once for the lobby and once for the game when I started one. I did not have to do anything else. I am playing a 2 v 2 right now against the AI. The reason I reloaded and tried again was I had the beta, and this test was with the full release of the game.

Rune