Plane Data Base.

A.E.B

Hi all

I may be being thick here, but will the game have more aircraft than listed in the Data Base?

Issues:

USAF - why the P35? The P35 saw limited action in the Philipines (on both sides - the Japs had twenty). Also, where is the Wildcat, Hellcat, Helldiver and Avenger. These planes formed the bulk of the 1942-44 Pacific battles.

British - Why the Lancaster? The Lancaster was a night bomber, hence no dogfights unless being jumped by radar equipped nightfighters with jazz-music cannon equals dogfighting. Why not the Wellington that conducted a number of daylight contested raids?

Japanese - no Val?

German - no Do17 or Ju88. Battle of Britian anyone?

I have never played the card game so it is possible that the aircraft are generic. But a number of airframes that were involved in the major battles in the Pacific and in Western Europe are missing.

Regards

A.E.B

Hello A.E.B., I am sure than Dan will chime in here soon with comments about the selection of aircraft, but to answer one question quickly - no, the planes are not generic, and more aircraft will indeed be added to the game.

The current database represents what's in the alpha version currently. I believe that the team has at least a number of new bombers planned before the release, and a lot more aircraft will be available later on; including aircraft for additional nations, e.g. Japanese and French.

Martin

Hello A.E.B.,

There will probably be a few more aircraft added. It depends on time and testing.

As for why these particular aircraft were selected...

Aircraft were selected based on giving each nation as wide of selection of aircraft types as possible at different quality levels.

Between the four nations, there were maybe 100 different major aircraft that participated in the war. Our goal is for the initial release to include about 30 to 40 of them, and then to add more aircraft on a regular basis.

Frenchy, probably both :D

Something like a new set of planes for the additional nations could be an add-on that would have to be purchase separately. Maybe with some extra rules or campaigns. But that's quite a bit far out there to say for sure.

However, one thing is certain - at Battlefront we don't believe in milking our customer base over and over again like some past and current wargame publishers do. That might work short-term, but we're convinced that it's the wrong strategy long-term. If you look at what we have done in the past with the various game releases, that should be quite obvious. So rest assured that upgrades, if and when they come, will be worth it.

For the moment, though, we want to wrap up the initial release to get you guys going. The testing team at least is very much hooked and addicted by now, maybe we should publish the current leaderboard standings at some point ;)

Martin

Moon,

I was just curious. I am well aware of the BFC track record...I've purchased all three CM games. My gaming budget is small and I like to plan ahead when it comes to game purchases.

And posting the "alpha" standings is a good idea! Let's see who the real pilots are!

A couple of failed bail-out attempts by the top pilots leaves Harv's guys at the top... and now we all get to hear about it...

Harv's Strategy:

Step #1. Get a few easy kills to get on the ladder.

Step #2. Have pilots kick back at the pub for the next couple weeks. Tell old war stories to anyone who comes within arm's reach, "There I was, on his tail, he tried to shake me, but no..."

Step #3. Claim the top spot when everyone else has been shot down...

No worries. All in good fun. Having one of my guys with 31 kills get shot down and fail to bail out didn't leave me bitter. Not one bit. grumble. grumble. grumble...