Rundll32 error

Every time i turn my computer on i get this error message.Clicking on ok removes the dialog box,and things seem ok apart from occasional probs with IE.I assume the dll file needs replacing from the windows cd but my brother has borrowed it and i won`t get it back until next week.There is a backup of this file in the same directory but you cant access it whilst windows is running!.Does anyone know how to solve this ? Al.

I don't know the exact solution to your problem, but replacing the RUNDLL32 file will not fix your problem to my knowledge. Another program (applet) is attempting to call up that DLL and it is the most likely culprit. This could be anything from a sound control applet to a display applet (little utilities in the System Tray). Have you recently removed or added any hardware or have you done the same with any programs or drivers ?

If you want to experiment with trying the other file you can exit Windows to a command prompt ("Restart in MS-DOS mode") and then copy the file. You'll of course need to know how to use the Copy command and remember the directory structure of where you're copying from and to.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Thanks,

I have now solved the problem.Using msconfig to examine the registry,i found the program that was causing the error.It was a "NEWNET" application which is a spyware trojan.It copied itself onto my harddrive via the YO MAMMA BIN LADEN game by Twisted Humour.There is a good website that details these type of Spyware/Adware programs at www.cexx.org/adware.htm .Also,you can get the AD-aware 5 Spyware removal tool which removed 139 Spyware components from my machine!!

Al

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: AL the red ]</p>

I had this same problem a couple of months ago. There is a thread on it here if you want to do a search. I use a program called Ad Aware that fixed the problem. When you run it, it finds all the spyware on your system and lets you delete it. It also lets you back up everything you delete in case you delete something you shouldn't have. It's amazing to see all the crap that gets through despite virus checkers and firewalls. A real tipoff that something unwelcomed is running on your system is to frequently check the programs running with ALT-CTRL-DEL. If you are familiar with what should be there you will notice when something new comes along.