WAW -- Operating Systems Questions

I was about to pre-order the WAW expansion pack tonight when I noticed it lists only Windows XP and Vista as compatible operating systems.

My question is this. Will WAW actually only run on these two systems or will it run on any system that currently runs Strategic Command 2nd ed.? Specifically, will it run on my Windows 98 Second Edition machine?

MJY,

Unfortunately since Microsoft no longer supports their older Operating Systems we cannot officially support them either since if there is ever an issue we may not be able to correct it, i.e. if it is related to Microsoft and their OS we may be stuck and unable to provide a solution.

With that being said it is still likely to work fine on your system as nothing has changed to the core SC2 application. For example if Blitzkrieg works fine on Win 98SE then it is more than likely Weapons and Warfare will work fine as well.

If you are still hesitant then I would suggest waiting for the Demo, which will be out shortly, to confirm compatibility prior to purchase.

This is of course one of the other reasons we provide a Demo to ensure user and system compatibility prior to purchase, which I might add, not all vendors do smile.gif

Hubert

Originally posted by borsook:

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but are you considering porting SC2 to Linux (as native app not via Wine etc) at any point in the future?

I'm 99.9% sure I can answer that for Hubert. But I will obviously leave that to him.

Just remember... it is a one man game for about 99%, 1% representing beta testers, manual writers, campaign creators etc... Noway anyone outside Hubert put in 60 hours a week for YEARS.

"60 Hour's/week would seem about right!".

I hope now that so much sacrifice in time & effort will at last help pave the way for expanded development of his 'Game-Engine' to perhap's at first cover the counterpart of the European Theatre',...now with the Pacific Theatre,...and then from that point on... Past_Present & Future situations!.

Originally posted by MJY:

I was about to pre-order the WAW expansion pack tonight when I noticed it lists only Windows XP and Vista as compatible operating systems.

My question is this. Will WAW actually only run on these two systems or will it run on any system that currently runs Strategic Command 2nd ed.? Specifically, will it run on my Windows 98 Second Edition machine?

My experience is that 90% of the time Win OS is compatible with everything from 98 to XP, Vista is something new

borsook, at one time I did consider it when SC2 was started since the base code is portable but I'd have had to redo all the interface code from scratch as well as the DirectX portion to something platform independent and there simply wasn't enough time and resources available for the task. Maybe one day down the road but for the most part I'd say it is very unlikely... unfortunately :(

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

borsook, at one time I did consider it when SC2 was started since the base code is portable but I'd have had to redo all the interface code from scratch as well as the DirectX portion to something platform independent and there simply wasn't enough time and resources available for the task. Maybe one day down the road but for the most part I'd say it is very unlikely... unfortunately :(

Good to hear that you're at least considering that possibility, so maybe SC3 (the one with hexes)? ;) System diversity should not stretch the development time much provided it is there from the start. Thanx for the answer anyway.