Help in 1939 scenario as Allies

Arrghh... so frustrating. I've played the 1939 scenario twice as the Allies, and both times been wiped off the map by the Germans in Russia in 1941. Once on the default difficulty, and once at the most allied-friendly setting; there just seem to be endless waves of German units. They have a dozen air units, six or eight armored units, and I just can't figure out how they could have built all this stuff with the MMPs they have. It's all upgraded, too!

Has anyone managed to hold Moscow in this scenario?

I put a few hundred points into research, although I've never received an upgrade. I buy all the cheap armies I can, and put them in my cities and behind rivers. I can never afford any tanks or fighters. Lend lease to the USSR is at maximum.

The Germans are killing four or five armies a turn, and I can't produce them that fast. I get some units from Siberia in the winter, but some of them aren't on rail lines, and the ones that are often can't operate for some reason. Eventually, my MMPs start to rise above 200, but since anything I build takes months to arrive, it's useless for anything but garrisoning the Ural factories.

Sorry for the whining. I'm loving the game, I just can't see how I'll ever get to 1942. I'm not surprised the Soviets lose their whole army in the first few turns - that's pretty historic. I am surprised that they can't build much after that.

Maybe there's something I can change in the editor to increase the MMPs or reduce unit costs at the end of fall 1941?

need to use your other terrain i.e mountains as defense bulwarks - also need to sacrifice space in russia to establish strong defensive lines - use your engineer unit - remember gotta play defense in USSR until US and UK are ready to launch d-day -give time for your units to entrench as this would make them tougher and also cover them with ample artillery defense- once the US joins UK can also do some nation harvesting for more mPPs such as in the middle east - Ireland, Norway, Sweden (from bases in Norway) - you have to be patient and hit only when you are ready. Use these as guiding principles padwan and eventually the force will be with you even at expert and +2 experience for the AI

Alright, some things to add:

USSR must have a strong Western Allied Intervention to take off the heat by '42-'43 or else she's toast. All of the Axis can destroy USSR easy!

As the USSR, focus your Investments into 1 area at a time, so you maximize the percentage that you hit something. Take away from any non-essential investments and move them to essential, like IT and IW-AT...Then Mobility, Production, etc...

Build Forts behind Rivers so you get a double edge defense, retreat-retreat-retreat. And attack what the Axis cannot possibly defend, like MidEast-Finland or where-ever she is weak. If she not, then just run, until he runs out of supply and you get your Siberians

As for Germany having so much money, it's because you played a weak game previously. You need to make the UK and French bleed German Resources pre-Barby. Come up with some distractions to draw on German MPPs, like Egyptian Defense-Coastal Traps, drag him into a Naval War with the UK, which if you're supplied he probably shouldn't have much of a chance to win. Other than that the longer you can delay his early conquests the more MPPs and readiness the Russians get = Stronger Russia.

Big important Factor here is USSR with her Allies are stronger Economically, and in the end that will equal military. Bide your time and remeber Axis fight worths squat 2000 Kilometers inside of USSR with supply 5 which hurts their overall performance, where you supply should be around 8-9

Stay away from Axis Air, that means open terrain in the middle of Summer in the range of them. Your a sitting duck

David, remember you can cheaply rebuild land units which had a supply level of 5 or higher when they were destroyed. Those units are designated with a * on the unit production screen. They're 60% cheaper to purchase and arrive in half the time. Think of it as reforming units that were rendered combat ineffective rather than destroyed to the last man and machine.

I played my first 1939 game as Allies too. Normal difficulty. The Germans were ferocious in 1941 and 42 and I prayed for harsh winters simply to prevent the air units from mauling me. I found several fortifications helped hold the line. By 1943, USSR production was 300+ and Russian tanks rolled into Berlin in late 1944.

Good luck!

David, you said you never got any upgrades. Just to make sure, the upgrades have to be applied to each unit by the player himself. For example, the techs that allow upgrading infantry are Infantry Weapons (IW) Anti-tank (AT) and Motorization. When you have reached, say, level 3 in IW, you can upgrade an army or a corps to either IW level 1,2 or 3. A frontline unit should probably have IW level 3 while a garrison unit (e.g. a corps just sitting in London preventing its opportunistic capture by German paratroops) can well do without any upgrades.

As of losing the Moscow, the Germans have so much power that if they really focus on taking Moscow they will get it. The bright side is that meanwhile they should not be able to press so hard in the south.

Regardless of difficulty setting the AI does also recieve a few extra units throughout the course of the game. See the UNIT events for more details.

To make adjustments to the number of extra units received you can simply deselect the desired number of AI UNIT events to your satisfaction.

The UNIT events can be accessed via the OPTIONS dialog. From there go to ADVANCED->SCRIPTS and click on the UNIT events in the left panel. The AI unit events start on the 2nd page I believe.

For some background on these additions, the extra AI units are for the most part to help the AI garrision various cities, partisan positions etc., as well as slight boosts for critical times in the game, i.e. North African forces or Barbarossa Reserves etc.

The idea is not to necessarily overwhelm you but since the AI still makes random purchases it ensures optimal AI play if it has enough Corps to garrison cities rather than using Armies or Tanks to do the same job and so on.

David, I would suggest trying to disable the 'Barbarossa Reserves' Axis AI UNIT event as a starting point and go from there. This one alone might do the trick for you but the strategies described by the feedback in this thread will also help ensure Soviet survival during the initial onslaught.

Hope this helps,

Hubert