King Tigers or ME-262s?

Will SC2 be oriented towards Fighter or Tank Warfare?

Right now, I'd say that SC1 outside of opening years with the Land Tech and Cost and the shortage of Hexes strongly focused on AirPower. Plus Carriers<their unnatural Readiness-Kill Ratio-Experience> Fighters air to land destruction beyond historical or possible capabilities.

Tanks and Monster Tanks, and Mobile ones and Mechanizes Armies should be the Staple of a Mobile and hasty attack. Then with that Fighter-FighterBomber-Bomber tactics, and Recon, etc.. etc.. etc..

Will SC2 players develop Heavy Armor now or Jet Fighters? Which will be King? I personally hope for Armor to take the scene over and Fighters and aircraft to a take a different role. Too expensive and too gamebreaking. While the land battles should call the shots. Airpower should be as it was suited to certian roles and in that capacity powerful. Though bombers would definitely be a lovely sight in the skies of Germany! smile.gif

Will SC2 be oriented towards Fighter or Tank Warfare?
Yes. tongue.gif

Here's a perspective to consider. SC2 will offer unit customization with tech. And tech will increase costs, for both purchase AND reinforcements. So there's going to be increased flexibility, but also higher costs to maintain high-tech units.

Heavy Tanks being a single tech should be THE bargain tech and be the one to beat in SC2. Air fleets will have jets and L/R competing, while infantry will have heavy weapons and AT and motorization competing. And again, cost will be a more important factor to consider. Tanks being cheaper than air, one should expect them to have more value in SC2 than in SC1.

But I'd say expect more balance, since you really have a rock-paper-scissors tradeoff between the different unit types and you'll need them all.

Well Liam, my guess is it will be a fine balance as weather will play a definitive role in the use of your airpower and mud decrease your mobility. There has been some hint that airpower may have a different consequence on your ground units, like lowering your units' morale, the new feature. Besides with AA tech possibly adding to ground unit air defense factors, air tendency leans to a more disruptive role than the killer it was in SC1. Never the less I would like to see some enhancement of CAS efficiency in the later war years as it was developing expotentially as a highly mobile 3D artillery function. Look at present day applications, pretty formidable.

As originally posted by SeaMonkey:

... my guess is it will be a fine balance as weather will play a definitive role in the use of your airpower and mud decrease your mobility.

Very true.

Weather WILL dictate WHEN and how certain offensives will take place... though, you COULD still try to slog the dog-soldiers through without Air Power and at a slowed, snail's pace.

But, what's even better... the "weather factor" is NOT static and predictable, as is the case IRL, eh?

You will never know, from one season to the next, or even, one game to the next, just HOW difficult (... or, not) the weather will prove to be.

**(... not to forget, there will also always be the "first Russian Winter effect" that the ill clad GErmans will have to contend with... a brief relief for the Berserkers, so to regroup and possibly conduct some small reprisals of their own! After all, they may well have been hiding out of plain sight... those specialty units that have higher level anti-tank gunnery!)

The thing is, as I have mentioned before, there are MANY, many variables... so many in fact, that it will virtually be IMPOSSIBLE to play the same game twice. :cool:

I had earlier said that you will be playing this game for the next 10 years... I reconsider and amend that now... you will be playing this game for the next 50 years!

I personally INTEND to live to be 100, at least, if ONLY so that I can play this most amazing game... and ALL those scenarios and spin-offs that will soon be out there... LOL! smile.gif

Since this game is REALLY very much DIFFERENT than SC the Original, I am guessing that there will 1000's of permutations on strategy and tactics.

As Bill has reminded, it is not merely a matter of manuevering your game pieces... it is MORE that you will have so many choices (... to include a greatly variant Diplomatic game, and, potentially, a decisive "Battle of the Atlantic") that you WILL have to thoroughly and actively "ponder & consider" BEFORE you launch into the next offensive or hunker down in gut defense.

You could, as Stalin had proposed, rely on... "quantity as quality"... OR you could build and then TRY to maintain those "elite" units... though, if the other side has (... secretly!) achieved a decent "motorisation tech," then you'll be in sudden danger of a quick and brutal "blitz, surround and starve."

All in all, this game is going to be... one hell of a challenge, even for ALL of those former... "masters of SC1."

The upcoming tournaments should be something to see! ;)

Without Air-Supremacy...any land force will be sumarily defeated...period!.

The Germans had on the drawing-boards...plans for tank-busting aircraft...such as Jet-Dive Bombers and Jets with Armour Piercing Cannons...so you-Betcha!...if they could gain control of the skies...Russian Armour would have been converted into tinfoil!.

So if it was me...i would devote everything i could to gain Air-Superiorty first..while only maintaining enough Land forces to hold the enemy at bay...long enough to gain control superiority in the air...then concentrate on upgrading and expanding the land elements!. "Quality & Quantity".

• 3 weeks later...

exactly

i too wouldve focused on the 262s, favoring air supremacy

u can have the most powerful tanks u want, but without good air control and air cover, they might as well be scrap metal

and of course, without air supremacy, u can say GOODBYE to ur supply lines and communications and bridges, ammo dumps, and the like

which of course will cut ur supplies, and be instrumental in the collapse of ur frontlines

which will of course bring to to defeat

This is Some of what we will strive for!...

http://gunpoint-3d.com/list-planes_german.html

Focke-Wulf Ta 183 fighter

Ta183.f.jpg

He 177 “Greif” Germany,1942 he177.l.jpg

M-103 “Patton”

m103.f.jpg

The American AFV: superheavy tank T28 (105-mm Gun Motor Carriage T95)

T28.f.jpg

King Tiger (Tiger II, König Tiger)

ti2p.l.jpg

JagdTiger VI B (SdKfz 186), 1944

Jagdtiger.f.jpg

Heavy Tank, IS-2

is2m4.jpg

"The most powerful tank in service well after the end of the Second World War, the Iosef Stalin series was based on the KV-1 heavy tank. The IS-2 tank first appeared in early 1944, and spearheaded the Soviet drive into Germany. A close-support version was built in the ISU-152, which was fitted with the massive 152mm Model 1937 howitzer (13d6/4y HE). Nicknamed "Zveroboy", early versions were first made available at the Battle of Kursk in 1943."

ISU-152 Model 1944

isu-152c.jpg

[ December 13, 2004, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Retributar ]