Trouble controlling my commanders influence

I've read the manual a hundres times about manually assigning units to an HQ, but I just can't see to make it work right much. I unallocate and the try to re-assign units to him over a couple turns, but I can never seem to get the units permanently assigned... or even assign some units period.

So I guess I'm asking for some good advice on the use of your HQ units... especially manaing assignments.

Thanks! smile.gif

I've read the manual a hundres times about manually assigning units to an HQ, but I just can't see to make it work right much. I unallocate and the try to re-assign units to him over a couple turns, but I can never seem to get the units permanently assigned... or even assign some units period.

So I guess I'm asking for some good advice on the use of your HQ units... especially manaing assignments.

Thanks! smile.gif

Japinard, real painful to do all that, headache in my opinion. Terif probably know's the assignment by Position but he's not home for now. I will you this, Just place your best HQ closest to the units you want it to Command, place your so so HQs out of the way... Do not put them too close to Rear Airfleets or you will get an undesired effect.. You just have to juggle where you put Low HQs and High HQs

the Manual feature so far I haven't seen work

Japinard, real painful to do all that, headache in my opinion. Terif probably know's the assignment by Position but he's not home for now. I will you this, Just place your best HQ closest to the units you want it to Command, place your so so HQs out of the way... Do not put them too close to Rear Airfleets or you will get an undesired effect.. You just have to juggle where you put Low HQs and High HQs

the Manual feature so far I haven't seen work

I have never had a problem. don't move anyone before you attach.
I don't think it has any effect on the units you assign that turn. I beleive they have to be attached at the start of the turn. Therefore assigning units has no effect because they will revert before the next turn.

I have never had a problem. don't move anyone before you attach.
I don't think it has any effect on the units you assign that turn. I beleive they have to be attached at the start of the turn. Therefore assigning units has no effect because they will revert before the next turn.

First you need to right click on your HQ, choose "set mode" and select "auto-assist". Then you can select/deselect units this HQ will support by right clicking on them with your HQ selected.

Note: you can only select/deselect units that have not performed any action during this turn, so do it before you start moving/upgrading your units. This way you can use your HQs to support exactly the units you want to be supported.

First you need to right click on your HQ, choose "set mode" and select "auto-assist". Then you can select/deselect units this HQ will support by right clicking on them with your HQ selected.

Note: you can only select/deselect units that have not performed any action during this turn, so do it before you start moving/upgrading your units. This way you can use your HQs to support exactly the units you want to be supported.

This will save me a lot of effort, Von Bock has lead many a charges into Mother Russia with Runstedt there with 2 bars and Bock only 1 bar. You learn something new every day. I also discovered that it seems you get 6 tiles of support? That means that you do not have to operate an HQ for France in 1939, you can just move the HQ to do most of the dirty work.

Now here is a really interesting question, I thought I'd read in the book, that a Full Strength meaning 10 strength HQ supposedly effected the Morale or Readiness of a Unit? Or perhaps supply, I'm not sure exactly what the manual said it may have been a BetaTester who remarked on this. Is this true? Does a 5 strength HQ not support as well as a 10 strength and if an HQ only has 1 strength left does it matter?

Originally posted by Terif:

This will save me a lot of effort, Von Bock has lead many a charges into Mother Russia with Runstedt there with 2 bars and Bock only 1 bar. You learn something new every day. I also discovered that it seems you get 6 tiles of support? That means that you do not have to operate an HQ for France in 1939, you can just move the HQ to do most of the dirty work.

Now here is a really interesting question, I thought I'd read in the book, that a Full Strength meaning 10 strength HQ supposedly effected the Morale or Readiness of a Unit? Or perhaps supply, I'm not sure exactly what the manual said it may have been a BetaTester who remarked on this. Is this true? Does a 5 strength HQ not support as well as a 10 strength and if an HQ only has 1 strength left does it matter?

Originally posted by Terif:

Yep, german HQs have a range of 6 to support units and can also support the most units with 6 of them (all other major nations only range 5 and 5 units).

In contrary to SC1, the strength of a HQ influences its ability to support units. So a str 5 unit gives only half the readiness bonus a str 10 HQ provides and str 1 means only 1/10 = forget it.. ;) . So HQs should always be reinforced to 10 if possible and attacking them means the enemy has to spend the mppps for repairs and can´t leave them at understrenght.

Yep, german HQs have a range of 6 to support units and can also support the most units with 6 of them (all other major nations only range 5 and 5 units).

In contrary to SC1, the strength of a HQ influences its ability to support units. So a str 5 unit gives only half the readiness bonus a str 10 HQ provides and str 1 means only 1/10 = forget it.. ;) . So HQs should always be reinforced to 10 if possible and attacking them means the enemy has to spend the mppps for repairs and can´t leave them at understrenght.

I'll reemphasize the point that only units that have not moved yet may be reattached. We had to do this after initial playtesting revealed a HQ could detach a unit that already attacked and then attach a new unit and then another... Not good.

Players need to make some HQ decisions at the start of each turn before moving any units - and not just for your current turn attacks but also for your expected defensive situation during your opponent's turn. So be careful using all of your command bonus making a breakthrough and then exploit with units that don't have any. They may not survive the counterattacks.

Another thing to remember is if the attachment range is exceeded then the attachment is lost and needs to be re-established. Just because you manually set it last turn or some time before doesn't mean it remains permanent. You need to check your army group composition each turn and make adjustments if necessary.

I'll reemphasize the point that only units that have not moved yet may be reattached. We had to do this after initial playtesting revealed a HQ could detach a unit that already attacked and then attach a new unit and then another... Not good.

Players need to make some HQ decisions at the start of each turn before moving any units - and not just for your current turn attacks but also for your expected defensive situation during your opponent's turn. So be careful using all of your command bonus making a breakthrough and then exploit with units that don't have any. They may not survive the counterattacks.

Another thing to remember is if the attachment range is exceeded then the attachment is lost and needs to be re-established. Just because you manually set it last turn or some time before doesn't mean it remains permanent. You need to check your army group composition each turn and make adjustments if necessary.