Next screenshot I would like to see

As originally posted by Blashy:

Seems Finland is connected to Sweden and Norway (hope I'm right)

You are partly right.

As presently constituted, there is a land connection between Finland and Sweden, but, as is apparent in the screenshot, not between Norway and Finland.

The whole U-boot VS RN sub-hunters should be greatly improved, in that you have MUCH more room up along Norwegian coast to try and slip your subs and/or RAIDERS out above Scapa Flow and into the North Atlantic.

Nothing like that very constricted space in the original map. ;)

The Wolfpacks should really be something to see! and can disrupt and cripple UK's economy, and, IMHO, the subs will truly be well worth investing in. :cool:

And don't forget, there will be convoy routes that can be selected, so that - as both the Allied and Axis Admiral, you will have to seriously think about this whole tin-can campaign... a kind of ferocious Cat & Mouse game that will be epic! Especially considering the much larger size of the Atlantic.

The thing is, with that fantastic editor, you can tweak ANY aspect of this game that you like.

For instance, if you REALLY like that Naval Game, as I surely do, then you can slightly modify all target values and spotting ranges, and adjust "naval bombing" ratings for all sea-going powers, and modify unit's cost (... make the subs and cruisers a bit less expensive, and then you'll be able to afford more of them)

And add the port of Trondheim or Narvik so the U-boots will have a staging base to intercept that icy cold Murmansk convoy run... maybe even put a squadron of naval torpedo bombers up there to keep the Brit Carriers honest...

So that the Battle of the North Atlantic can then! be a critical aspect of the WW2 Grand Strategy, as it should be... hooray! :cool:

Finally, a reason to fight the Battle of the Atlantic.

Thanks for the information Desert Dave.

No problemo Edwin P.

True aficions of the WW2 GS genre, as you very caringly are, will have some kind of deep and pliable game to model and play all around with.

A game that I am ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED will be... THE one I (... and thousands & thousands of others no doubt) have been waiting for... over 40 years!

The Battle of the North Atlantic is going to be... a tin-can, torpedoes starboard! and now! ahead! :eek:

Blow-out blast! :cool:

Desert Dave, can you enlighten us on the Subs silent running mode - I assume that this will reduce the chance for spotting submarines and maybe even allow units sail right pass submarines without seeing them?

Also will air units always spot all naval units within range or will there be a chance that they miss spotting a unit, with a greater chance for not spotting a sub (as subs were harder to spot than surface ships). In my mind the chance for not spotting a unit should increase as the range increases and one of the biggest influences on the battle for the Atlantic was the ability to spot German Wolfpacks from airbases in Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland.

Properly played the game looks like it will provide an incentive for air units to be stationed in these areas in order to protect the Merchant Ship Convoys.

[ April 17, 2004, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Insofar as raiding by surface ships, and just how the "run-silent" feature will be implemented, and the spotting variables, I will hold off on saying anything further.

Hubert is still deciding on some of the aspects of those, so... you know, in this instance it would be better if he reveals what he has decided, WHEN he has decided it.

I am VERY enamored of this whole aspect of the naval game, and have long favored a much more detailed and consequential paradigm for The Battle of the North Atlantic ... as have many others.

I've no doubt, those many others have some sway in the decision making, so keep on!

Asking for whatever it is that you want. smile.gif

Raiders!!

Me? I really, REALLY want to see them included. :cool:

Originally posted by Desert Dave:

The whole U-boot VS RN sub-hunters should be greatly improved, in that you have MUCH more room up along Norwegian coast to try and slip your subs and/or RAIDERS out above Scapa Flow and into the North Atlantic.

Nothing like that very constricted space in the original map. ;)

As nobody has ever simmed this campaign properly

in any previous game (comp or board), I await

further info with baited breath and blue cheeks.

:eek:

I do wonder what the Axis can do to sneak past if

the Allied player decides to form a solid line of

ships from Scapa on up to the pack ice limit.

Will they burn oil resources if at sea? Can the

subs (as someone else asked) sneak past anyway

most of the time if "silent"? Yes I'll be patient

awaiting these (and other) answers... smile.gif

John DiFool

{edit} This is pre the fall of France Edwin.

Assume also that it Brit ships are in every other

hex, which in SC1 would still block any movement

(even every third hex would too).

[ April 20, 2004, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: John DiFool the 2nd ]

As orignally posted by John DiFool the 2nd:

I do wonder what the Axis can do to sneak past if

the Allied player decides to form a solid line of

ships from Scapa on up to the pack ice limit.

That would be problematical for another reason.

Naval units that stray... more than ONE tile away from a port, such as Scapa Flow in your example, will have an increased possibility of suffering weather damage from rough Seas during those mud and snow seasons.

That could very well be... what? October through March or April?

Of course, this is in addition to the supplies expended by extensive naval maneuvers distant from a port, as was the case with Original SC... where readiness would go down the longer you were at Sea.

Subs would also risk wear & tear, though on a lesser scale, since they can run submerged. They can avoid some of the immediate brunt of the Storms and crashing wave action.

So. It remains the case that you are playing the Cat & Mouse game, even with naval sorties that are intent on interceptions. :cool: