I have read alot about the Russians not defending up front. Most of the more experienced players seem to suggest that the Russians simply place their initial defense line back and give up the Western cities.

I am curious. I understand that the proponents of this strategy do not even put up a screening force. What line do you initially defend? Leningrad, Moscow, Karkov? Do you place any units at all in the forward cities such as Minsk, Riga, Odessa, Kiev or Smolensk? What slows the Germans? Simple movement? The time it takes to rebuild the captured cities for supply purposes? Given the longer time it takes to build fortifications, are any able to be built before the Germans arrive?

I look forward to your responses.

Depends. Against a human opponent, sometimes a forward defense is the right move if they've stretched thin and don't have overwhelming force for Barbarossa. Then you can hold them up real good.

I typically defend around Moscow. Have swamps and river near Leningrad, some mountains and forest outside the city. Good first defensive area to put up a fight.

I typically don't put any units at all in the forward cities. Once in awhile I'll put one in Minsk, or behind the river at the mines in the south. Even forcing them to stop and fight for a few extra turns can help, but being able to op-move those units away before they get destroyed is key.

The advantage Russia has against the Germans there, are the supply lines and the brutal winter. The deeper Germany gets the tougher it is for them to fight at full strength. Try hitting them when they're frozen, undersupplied and without air cover.

For fortifications, I'll try and build some around Stalingrad. By the time they get there I can have a few set up.

ya I typically in the early part of the campaign buy corps and would invest in infantry and anti tank weapons level one. Then let them entrench themselves and hope they can delay Germany while I set up my heavy units to counter-attack in the Russian winter and build as many fortifications around Karkov, Stalingrad, and Moscow. Truly with the Urals being re-built and the British convoy event why invest in losing your best units in the Ukraine if thats what your asking cause the first year of the invasion decides what happens in the next. Hope that helps.

THe purpose of early defense is to slow the enemy down without risking the destruction of valaubale units.

So usally I defed the forward cities but hold the escape routes open to op out when the situation gets critical.

LEt the Germans work a little bit and organise there troops for an assault than op out. Same goes for the mines over the River etc.

Its to buy time for the Siberians to arrive afterwars you can start to defend a little bit more aggressively. Hopefully when Winter arrives I still hold Karkow, Moskau, Leningrad (my first fortifications usally go to Leningrad afterwards I like Moskau.

Don't be shy SeaMonkey - give us some pointers! Aside from partisans who pop up on their own, how can you do it.

I'm getting pounded by all the Axis airpower and divebombers and they seem pretty unstoppable to me. If there are ways to reduce their supply and thus weaken them, I'd love to know it!

In your case AZ, and every one is different, I've found USSR fighters and maxed anti-Air work, but deployment is important.

Not sure where you're at, chronologically, so it may be a bit premature to usher in the bombers, but that can be a part of the tier also as they should be examining Axis positions early. You just may not be ready for use in this role.

Think about where those partisans appear? Are they aways off from the Axis effort(air)? Chances are there will be minimal garrison in those areas. Think of how you might divert their partisan suppression effort.

OK, one more, remember in bad weather, paratroops can jump, but air can't fly. smile.gif

Always remember, SC is like life, you have to make sacrifices to get rewards and risk assessment determines the degree of consequence you pay for a bad decision.

Now are you sorry you asked? tongue.gif

Hey SeaMonkey,

OH yeah - really sorry!! ;)

Not really. I didn't know that paratroopers could drop in bad weather. That's interesting if I can find a way to afford them!

My main problem as the Allied player is that German air in WaW just seems to be nearly unstoppable. I know that's being talked about in another thread, and don't want to hijack this one.

But the idea of hurting the German's supply as a way to weaken and slow them down isn't something I'd given much thought too.

I'll have to play around with this and see what I can do.

Thanks!

You're welcome. smile.gif

I agree, German Air is likely unstoppable(directly) especially with LR. Sometimes another approach is necessary.

BTW, timing is critical and try to unveil your action(s) when the Axis air and the HQs supplying them seem overextended. Your own bombers or fighters with LR can help you determine that.