WaW D-Day battle... as the Axis..

Thoughts from a newbie.... on the scenario

1. First off the fighter-bombers are WAY to powerful. Completely destroying a 8+ strength entrenched panzer in the bocage in one shot!?

2. IMO The AA should get to fire more then once per turn.

3. Geezzz do the allies get enough air-power? With no "night" the Germans just get blown off the map by the billions of planes...

4. USA troops ships landing behind Cherbourg or right into it?

Has anyone ever won this as the Germans? if so... how?

Originally posted by Tread Head:

Moon Slayer. OK, exactly how? Give me some specific pointers...

As you never said 'please' I'll only stretch to one ;)

It is very tempting to try and 'throw the allies back into the sea' as soon as they land. I find that around the Caen area it is best to use the town and river as a defensive line and let the AI blunt it's attack on your dug in infantry. Then, when the enemy are committed to the attack, counter with your armour around the southern flank. Support this with the air units (which you placed on ground attack orders on the first turn). Once the first assault on Caen has been dealt with cycle the damaged units to the rear and replace with fresh troops. Rinse and repeat until the Brits have lost the initiative then thrust towards the coastal supply towns.

That's the East sorted... just the centre and West to defend. Patience is a definite virtue here. Keep your armour safe and only use them to mop up enemy quickly to avoid being overwhelmed.

Cherbourg is a tough one to hold onto because of the air assault. This is the one objective I have lost in this scenario as the Germans, to give an allied minor victory, in the past.

Here's a hint:

Allied air power will reduce a strength 10 unit on good morale/readiness down to about 2 strength in a single turn. When you reinforce such a battered unit it takes a while for it's morale/readiness to return to a high value. A low morale/readiness unit with 10 strength will be destroyed in one turn, however. You should have several units in cherbourg that are not needed for front line defence.... ;)

See if that helps.

The allies tend to hit the unit defending the objective tile. Rotate that unit so that you are using a fresh defender and not just a reinforced unit.

Watch the readiness/morale ratings as well as the strength.

I used to fight an HQ up there as well in the past... haven't tried that in the WaW version yet as the HQs would be very vulnerable to air assault.

Might work though.