Couple of questions / remarks

Hi

Here are a couple of things i noticed. Any comments on them?

AI issues: -

-Italy has a cruiser in port of tobruk. My UK Army is next to the port hitting the fleet -5/6 points. AI Turn, instead of fleeing it reinforces. Turn after turn until army destroys fleet. Strange behaviour.

- Keep 1 uk corps in Brest and all of the Wehrmacht & Luftwaffe marches to Brest. Gets crowded :D

Observation:

As in SC1 it seems that fleets stationed in ports

are almost indestructable. Why is this?

Fall Of France

- In SC1 i was able to evacuate french units to UK. I still can but loose evacuated french HQ.

Is this by design?

- After fall of france i kept UK fleet in port of Brest ( running at 50% ) so port stays allied. Next turn transport unit from London to the

port to take over Brest. Surpise, cannot unload.

Why?

- Never ever got any free french units/fleet.

Tomato

Free French is only 20% chance now.

Fleets in ports would have been hard to attack, they had protection (mines, guns, planes) making it hard to get to them and finding the range to hit them, not to mention getting damaged from coming in close to the enemies base of operations through counter attacks from defenses.

Originally posted by KillerTomato:

Is that 20% on a per unit basis?

I would think a fleet in port is like a sitting duck. No room to manouver. No way to fire the big guns because ships are docked next to each other etc. But that is my opinion

Per unit - yes, that sounds right.

Sitting ducks maybe, but with a lot of protection. In WWII there was really only one unqualified success when surface ships attacked a port - the UK vs. the French at Mers-el-Kebir. And much of that was because the UK was allowed to get within gun range during the negociations. A similar attack on Dakar by a UK/Free French vs. Vichy was a failure.

Air attacks were extremely variable - Taranto and Pearl Harbor were devasting victories for the attacker. Attacks on the Tirpitz at Trondhiem, the Home Fleet at Scapa Flow, or the Scharnhort/Geniesenau at Brest were far less effective, leading to severe aircraft losses for little or no effect. Any port operating warships was extremely well protected. The eggs may have only been in a few baskets, but those baskets were well protected.

Something that would appear on the SC2 scale but isn't in the game are special forces attacks. There were several during war, some of which worked (Italian frogmen in Alexandria, British X-craft against the Tirpitz) and some of which failed (Italian frogmen at Malta, Japanese mini-subs at Pearl Harbor).

Actually, there's new evidence that the Japanese mini-subs got one off.

Attack from Below

The Boeing-Autometric team analyzed the photograph and presented its findings to Martinez at a National Park Service-sponsored press conference on 6 December 1994. The report concluded that a Type-A submarine was present in the photograph and that it did participate in the attack on Battleship Row.1 The report also stated that this submarine had fired both of her torpedoes successfully. One torpedo could be seen striking the USS West Virginia (BB-48), and the second is seen moving in the direction of the USS Oklahoma (BB-37).

Originally posted by Lars:

Actually, there's new evidence that the Japanese mini-subs got one off.

Attack from Below

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> The Boeing-Autometric team analyzed the photograph and presented its findings to Martinez at a National Park Service-sponsored press conference on 6 December 1994. The report concluded that a Type-A submarine was present in the photograph and that it did participate in the attack on Battleship Row.1 The report also stated that this submarine had fired both of her torpedoes successfully. One torpedo could be seen striking the USS West Virginia (BB-48), and the second is seen moving in the direction of the USS Oklahoma (BB-37).

</font>

Originally posted by rleete:

I wanna simulate the Campbelltown destroyer attack agains the ports!

See here for info: Wiki page

One of the crazier plans of the war. Amazingly, it seems to have worked quite well.

Oh, crap! :( I knew I missed one! :mad:

(Although I ask you, really - you loan a friend a nice destroyer and what does he do? He fills it full of TNT and rams it into a drydock. And then he blows it up! Lend-Lease my eye! You try that with a rental car and see if you get your security deposit back!}