SC2B looks great! However.....

Why did the design move away from hexes to squares? I've always found hexes more cohesive. Squares distort adjacency and so forth. Were there some technical reasons?

Either way, I look forward to publication.

• 2 months later...

Gadzooks this thread is back again. FWIW, this time around we've got some experience with the new SC2 movement and combat. Yes, the game is coming along slowly but surely.

Anyway, I'll offer my updated perspective. Since SC2 does not have unit stacking, friendly and enemy units and terrain all affect where a unit can move to. In most linear combat situations, you're generally trying to go in one direction anyway. So despite whether you have hexes or tiles, this game system significantly restricts unit movement. A player has to sequence his moves and combats, so it's almost like chess rather than your typical wargame with unit stacking and everyone able to move at once.

Considering all that, how much difference can there be between hexes and tiles in SC2? I say not much. Poland as a test case plays out virtually the same as before. It's too soon to tell about some of the other larger scenario situations, but I don't expect major differences. Frankly there are so many other enhancements being made to the game that the tile issue is something more of style than of substance. smile.gif

Poland as a test case plays out virtually the same as before.
How about the invasions of Belgium, France and Norway? (Everyone invades Norway)

Similar results to before?

Is the Dutch gambit still a viable option?

Can you still take Norway and Belgium in one turn?

Wheres that AAR for the invasion of Poland?
We'll see about posting some preliminary AARs and screenshots sometime in the next week or two. Probably with the next iteration after Hubert gets some additional features implemented. A simple compare and contrast of the Polish campaign between SC1 and SC2 should be good. ;)