Random Crashing/ iMac

On a 350 iMac running system 9.0.4 with the suggested 35 megs of RAM running the game, I am finding I am having random crashes (around 1 out of every 5 games) with the demo 1.02. Other than the random crashing everything runs so good I'm surprised I get crashes at all. Should I just crank the RAM to the game you think? Or is this common?

A secondary question, when playing the full version through email, if one was to experience these crashes is the game sort of saved in the moves being emailed back and forth?

My country thanks you for your time...

I wouldn't say that consistent crashing would be normal. A little more RAM allocated to CM may help. Is there a particular point in the game where you get these crashes (i.e. - giving orders, playback of the turn, turn "crunching", etc.) ?

There is an autosave that works in the background of CM (not configurable though). I'm not sure at what point an autosave comes up. In other words I don't know if the autosave will save some of move orders you gave in plotting before you crashed (it may not). If you're opening and running a PBEM, you can just reload the PBEM file (assuming that it isn't corrupt).

Are you running the latest ATI drivers ? Run the System Update to check (I don't know if ATI/Apple have posted anything newer than what is in 9.0.4).

A lot of Mac users experience intermittent lock-ups with CM, especially using OS 9. Turning off the backside cache seems to make this occur less often, although it's not clear why. (There is a free extension/control panel that can be used to do this, but I can't recall the name, and I'm not at home to check.) I have also found that periodically saving the file makes the lockups less likely. If the program locks up while you are entering moves for a PBEM, the autosave doesn't help. It reverts to the most recent file, and you have to re-enter the moves. But if you saved the file, you can re-open the saved file and go from there. If you received a movie file, it doesn't matter, because you can replay the movie.

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye:

A lot of Mac users experience intermittent lock-ups with CM, especially using OS 9. Turning off the backside cache seems to make this occur less often, although it's not clear why. (There is a free extension/control panel that can be used to do this, but I can't recall the name, and I'm not at home to check.) I have also found that periodically saving the file makes the lockups less likely. If the program locks up while you are entering moves for a PBEM, the autosave doesn't help. It reverts to the most recent file, and you have to re-enter the moves. But if you saved the file, you can re-open the saved file and go from there. If you received a movie file, it doesn't matter, because you can replay the movie.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is the G3/G4 profiler from PowerLogix www.powerlogix.com

I went for months without a hang, then I tried installing a new PCI card and it came back. Maybe resetting the PRAM might help, but it will screw-up your setting if you do it manually, e.g. alt-opt-p-r at bootup. Your will then have to go into your control panel and reset the network, the startup disk, etc. Techtool will make a backup and reset the PRAM.

Also create a minimal set of extension under extension manager that runs CM. It is a pain to reboot in and out of different extensions sets but it beats hanging.

One last thought. If Steve or somebody will tell us(me) what we need to do with Macsbug, then maybe we can give him a clue as to why this is happening.

Regards

pford

I have the same problem, CM freezes on my iMac running 9.0.4. In my case, it usually happens when I'm moving the camera around the battlefield. I increased CM's ram allocation, but it didn't seem to help.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska