Engineer build times

Short story: Anyone know exactly how fort build times work?

Rather than just building L-shaped forts everywhere, I've decided to now try to build forts to make use of the turn interval.

For example, why build a 30 day fort if you can build a 50 day fort before your next turn (i.e. over winter)?

For the most part I seem to be getting it right. I've just had a wierd one though. Looking at my log, I moved into place and started building a Russian fort in T47. It was a 40 day (straight line). I expected it to finish at the end of T50. It actually finished at the end of T53 (after I clicked End Turn).

So, time spent building (time points at beginning of months)

T47 01.06 Start

T48 15.06 14 days

T49 29.06 28 days

T50 06.07 35 days

T51 13.07 42 days Expected finished by start T51

T52 20.07 49 days

T53 27.07 56 days

T54 03.08 63 days Actual finish before 03.08

I've always assumed that the engineers start from the first day of the turn that you select Fortify. In that case, the engineers took between 56 and 63 days to complete a 40 day fortification.

If I'm wong on that and they start at the end of your turn (or at some random point between the start and the end), then the beginning of T53 was still 42 days after the latest start, so it should have been completed before the beginning of T53 (rather than after the end of it).

Any ideas?

Terrain wise, it was next to a river and a mine, as well as a 50 day L-shaped fort. Weather wise it waas clear. There were no enemy units nearby and the USSR was not activated.

[ January 17, 2007, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Bromley ]

Wow Bromley you get the award for super SC2 geek of the week with your engineering fort building calculations. I am genuinely impressed.

My general rule of thumb is that I'm desperate enough to buy an engineer and build a fort then odds he'll be overrun and killed by the time he finishes it.

Essentially engineer build time is tacked on immediately and will not become available until the build time has passed and only on your turn. Note, as you noticed turn time can vary in length and may not match up exactly with the expected build time.

For a simple example let's say the build time is 10 days but your next turn is 2 weeks away it will in this case appear to have taken 14 days to complete the fortification.

My first Golden Geek smile.gif .

Thanks Hubert. I'll go back to the saves to confirm, but if I understood you correctly the construction time starts from the first day of your turn (i.e. the date showing at the bottom of the screen when you're moving your units).

If so, I suspect there's something unusual happening in this particular case.

A suggestion for SC3 would be to change the build times to weeks to fit better with the turns.

TaoJah. They just shift by a day/couple of days each year, so you can look at the 1940/1 dates and find the nearest fit. Not sure how well that holds up in the later game though or whether the main seasons follow the turn lengths rather than particular dates.