Weapons and Warfare v1.04 Patch and Demo Released!

SeaMonkey,

Thanks for the report and the only thing I can think of is that Vista seems to have some issues with execution paths and game files. For example there was an issue with saved game files that required users to change a few settings on their computers to get things working correctly.

Here is the link with known Vista issues (listed at the bottom):

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000625

As mentioned I've tested the installation as well as the patch on Vista and can't seem to reproduce this error with or without UAC enabled but I still wonder if for some reason the game is not looking for the files in the right spot due to Vista's User Access Control system.

Retributar, SeaMonkey, can you try doing a fresh install using either of the two listed workarounds on Vista to see if that helps?

Hubert, what are the implications of disabling Vista's UAC and how do you do it?

I guess I could research it...Google is such a wonderful thing....but

Come to think of it, that's what I'm doing, researching....Hubert just picture yourself as an Encyclopedia. :D

SeaMonkey, try this please. Try and rightclick on the patch itself and run it using the "Run as Admin" option. I am curious to see if that makes any difference.

By the way, the implications of disabling UAC in Vista? You will have FAR less headaches. ;)

Madmatt

SeaMonkey

Vista adds another layer of protection to your system with UAC which long story short will ask you to verify every copy/paste, installation etc., as well as a few other restrictions on your system to make sure it is very secure.

Some may appreciate this extra layer of security but after a week of simply finding myself agreeing to each operation I was attempting to run I ended up disabling it. As Matt mentions, disabling it really can be argued as a way to avoid some extra headaches but in the end it is entirely up to you and whatever you feel comfortable with.

Either way I would still do some research just to make sure what you will be doing when disabling UAC, or as an alternative you can try disabling it for the installation of Weapons and Warfare and then re-enable it when you are done.

Hubert

Thanks guys, but Matt I had already tried that, in fact, for some reason I always have to run every damn program as Administrator and like Hubert says I have to "authorize" windows to continue to get even mundane tasks accomplished.

Now mind you...I like be prompted as an important decision maker but this Vista crap is annoying. ;)

So let's do away with this UAC and make my life simple again, or at least simplier smile.gif

Retributar, SeaMonkey, I tracked this one down and it is a Vista compatibility file issue. Seems as though Vista is storing the old sc2.ini file and reading it from the 'Virtual Store' directory.

Please navigate to the following directory replacing 'Drive' with your current drive, likely 'C' and replacing User_Name with your current user name on your system:

Drive:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Battlefront\Strategic Command 2 Weapons and Warfare Expansion\

Then open the SC2.ini file and add the following line:

#VIDEO_ACCELERATION= 0

It should work for you at this point without having to adjust UAC.

Hubert

The other option is to navigate to your installation directory and then click on 'Compatibility Files' in the tool bar of your Windows Explorer which will take you directly to this Virtual Store folder.

You can then access the SC2.ini file and add the line as needed.

Hubert

Just to report back....Success!!!! smile.gif

Actually Hubert all I had to do was turn off the UAC in the control panel...a snap! Reboot.. and voila'. :cool:

Turned on the video acceleration...OMG...now we're talking, better than it has ever been and I'm referring all the way back to the initial SC1 days, Summer of 2002. :eek:

I was trying to navigate through Explorer like you directed but after I got to my user name there was no "AppData" file to access, so I couldn't go any further.

Never could access the installation directory for "Compatibility Files", couldn't find it.

Oh well, I'm up and running. Thanks HC and Matt, always appreciate the help. I can safely say that the services rendered here are unprecendented in my PC gaming experiences. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The video acceleration has REALLY made an impact for me as well, things just move much smoother and faster.

I bet ya anyone with just 2 gigs of ram and running this in VMWare for Mac would not feel the need for more ram.