No Fog of war?

I have, I found it as enjoyable as without FOG, just a different kind of game style. You can plan where you are going to attack a bit better, although it seems the AI can to.

I may be wrong here, but I think it stops the subs ability to go into silent mode, ie the ai can always see them.

And some might call it cheating!!!!

I've played my first games vs the AI without fog of war. Just to get to know how everything worked.

Playing vs humans without fog of war slows the game down considerably. Since you have to cover all your weakspots. And no surprise attacks like Sealion, Norway, D-day etc.

Considering that often there are complaints about the poor AI, my question is, does the fog of war off mean the AI does better? If so, it may be a better contest. I have heard it suggested on a number of games that with fog of war off, the AI is able to react to the enemy better and gives a better fight. The sad part of course is no more surprises for either side and the reality factor is very questionable.

Well, I question that the reality factor is questionable :)

I play with FOG off, because I think that is more challenging, not because it is realistic.

Didn't the Axis knew about most Russian or French armies ? And the Allied about the German troops ?

I am not sure exactly how realistic FOW actually is.

I play with FOG off, because I think that is more challenging
I would agree fully, if it is more challenging it makes sense to play that way. I use to play old board wargames solitare and obviouslly you could see everything.

Didn't the Axis knew about most Russian or French armies ?
I agree in large part, put knowing exactly where they always were, or seeing the obvious signs of build up before an attack, or seeing just where and how deep the defense is, can take some of the surprise out. No need for recon or expeditions, you already know where they are.

This is an interesting point.

At the moment with FOW you're limited to unit spotting range when it comes to getting enemy info. Of course in reality intelligence played a huge role in discovering enemy troop movement/disposition - it would be awesome to see this reflected somehow in SC3. Be quite a challenge to balance a feature like that tho.

how about a special option were when fog is off you select a units build spot to be a certain place so it locked there but is not put there. Then when the build up is ready you pu it down move the unit and attack normally. So that way the other player knows were your units are but not totally sure were an initial build up is.

Originally posted by sabazius:

This is an interesting point.

At the moment with FOW you're limited to unit spotting range when it comes to getting enemy info. Of course in reality intelligence played a huge role in discovering enemy troop movement/disposition - it would be awesome to see this reflected somehow in SC3. Be quite a challenge to balance a feature like that tho.

Now that you mentioned it, through the use of the editor, you can increase the spotting range of all Axis or Allied units...simply make a copy of the original 1939 file, rename it and place it into the campaign folder...then by using the editor you can change the spotting range for the units you want, in any country you want. Play a game, with fow on, against the ai which has this increased spotting range and see what happens...

I was thinking more about head-to-head play. Something to reflect, for example, information trickling thru to the Allies from operatives in occupied countries. Some way of getting sporadic information about enemy troops without having your own large-scale spotting unit.