minor countries and high tech

Guest Mike
Originally posted by Cheese Panzer:

[

The South Africans, Australians, and New Zealanders are all treated as UK units by the game - the only thing that makes then different is their name. I'm not entirely sure but I think they come in with highest UK tech when they appear (much like the Siberians) and in any even can be upgraded as normal UK units. I do know that historically the SA/AU/NZ units were created in their home countries, sent piecemeal to Europe, and didn't receive their heavy equipment (artillery, tanks, anti-tank guns, etc.) until they arrived in Europe.

Certainly that was the case for hte New Zealand Division - it was in England during the BoB training and being equipped - had Sealioin hapened it would have been one of 5 or 6 pretty well fully trained and equipped divisions available.

there were another 20 or so in various stages of training and equipment, perhaps half of which would have had enough to be at least useful in a defensive tole.

Liam Wrote:

Stalin's Organist:

Not downgrading foreign sacrifices just trying to be Strategic.. Canada gets a bomber, cruiser, corp unit so far as I've seen? Not much.....but calculate what they the Brits in Resources over the length of a 5 year game, far outweighs a tech factor or HQ factor, fielding 5 Canadian units is unlikely when I haven't seen 5 Americans at the getgo a Major Player.

What has the number of US units got to do with it?

The US army was relatively miniscule at eth start of WW2.

someone else said that Canada was a seperate country so it doesn't surender if the UK does - can't there be a script for it like that for the French overseas territories to make it independant and then give it an instant DoW on Germany?

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

someone else said that Canada was a seperate country so it doesn't surender if the UK does - can't there be a script for it like that for the French overseas territories to make it independant and then give it an instant DoW on Germany?

To give Canada the ability to have its' units get tech advances in SC2 it would need to be a major power. Which would mean it would be treated as part of the UK, which may not be what HC intended and perhaps causes some other programming issues. You could make Ottowa the third UK capitol after Alexandria which would make Canad part of the UK and allow you to upgrade Canadian units. I'm not sure if this would be possible.

Canada is likely the strongest nation on the map outside of the Majors. USA/Germany/Italy/France/UK/USSR and rightfully they recieve some valuable units. Outside of Canada would be possibly India/Australia as powerful UK Minors not represented because of Map and Scale of the game. India would be a larger source of Manpower but tied up in Asia securing those resources.

Not to overplay Canada but she is pretty pathetic in game terms, but so is the USA without tech and time.

Yeah, Canada is a little underpowered considering the number of troops she historically committed to battle. But on the other hand her MPPs go directly to the UK stash. Concerning surrender scripts, I think UK government to relocate to Canada instead of Egypt if London falls.

Isn't Hubert a Canuck himself?

Given that fact, I think that if anyone had thought of making Canada a Major Power, it would have been him.

You have to consider the game scale in this. How would increasing Canada's ability to act on her own, seperate from the UK, affect the overall gameplay?

If your argument is you wish to, in your opinion, more accurately reflect technology advancement for certain Minor powers during the war. How do you justify Romanian advanced subs tech, or Canadian research advancement that isn't directly proportional to the UK's own.

I think that the units available to Canada to purchase, coupled with the MPP contribution via convoy does, at least in spirit, represent an accurate contribution, in respect to the scale of the game, ie...Armies, and Corps sized units.

Would you feel comfortable adding an army sized unit of Canadian tanks, tech 3 or 4, or is it enough that you could purchase a Brittish unit, presumably with donated Canadian MPP's, and renaming it after a Canadian unit, while still under the command of an overall Brittish Commander?

Lastly, in respect to Axis minors, and their abilities, and inabilities. If modern weaponry was so prevalent in some units, why were they so incapable of offensive operation, seperate from german forces. Was it Romanian Cavalry spearheading pincer movements into the rear of enemy formations? Once again I think it is more accurate to see them in a more supportive role.