Production vs Research?

When I'm playing, I never know how many MPPs to devote to research as opposed to production. Every so often, I'll throw a hundred towards something in research, but mostly I max out unit production as much as possible.

Do any veteran players have suggestions how the two should be balanced?

It depends more on what your strategy is going to be and if your the Allies or the Axis.If im really interested in a particular upgrade i will usually try and max.it out as fast as i reasonably can.Alot of time this is my downfall because ill have spent so much on tech. research i dont have the mpps to build the ultra high tech.units.

You can run into real trouble if you have completely ignored technology for more units.They usually become cannon fodder.

My suggestion to you is to keep having fun playing and learn from you mistakes.Eventually you will adopt a strategy that you like and you will go for the necessary tech.to assist.

It depends more on what your strategy is going to be and if your the Allies or the Axis.If im really interested in a particular upgrade i will usually try and max.it out as fast as i reasonably can.Alot of time this is my downfall because ill have spent so much on tech. research i dont have the mpps to build the ultra high tech.units.

You can run into real trouble if you have completely ignored technology for more units.They usually become cannon fodder.

My suggestion to you is to keep having fun playing and learn from you mistakes.Eventually you will adopt a strategy that you like and you will go for the necessary tech.to assist.

This what I've learned, from playing and especially just reading from other veteran players like Terif:

Axis:

Concentrate on having enough ground units for Russia and whatever other endeavor you go on (Minors, or Egypt...). If you research, focus on what will benefit the most units. If you plan on building a lot of tanks, go for armor research, otherwise that can wait. If you go for a sub strategy, toss a few in that tech. Long-range aircraft benefits your fighters, tac and bombers so just investing 1 in there is worth it.

It's not worth it early on to go for the expensive stuff. You need warm bodies to keep offensives going. If you want to throw some into diplomacy, be aggressive and go for a specific strategy otherwise save the MPP's unless you want to block a move your opponent is making.

Once you've gobbled up enough territory to bring in some MPP's, then start focusing on more expensive endeavors.

Tiger is right, early emphasis on building strategy provides greatest flexibility.

That is the key to SC, flexibility. As you try and dictate the pace eventually your good opponent will grab the initiative.

This is the crucial phase as you must respond appropriately to counter him. Sometimes arresting the momentum will take a little time and patience, and you must be prepared to conduct your operations during the interim period too lessen the damage.

So as you can sum up, you can have a plan, but be forwarned those best laid plans won't survive the initial engagement if it is of any consequence.