Readiness & Morale

I have some serious issues in a PBEM game or two. Where readiness and Morale were lower than I thought they ought to be. I have often overviewed the basics, and it seems to me that units with a supply of 9, connected by land to my capitol, with an HQ of 7 or so should be better than 40% Readiness, 20% Morale.

What my curiosity is, why so low? Some were a bit better, but I've seen units unconnected at 75% when I cannot hope to achieve this.. is this due to time being without an HQ? What are messing up my calculations

HQs only increase readiness for the supported units and have no effect concerning morale (except if they provide better supply).

Morale is (simplified) calculated by multiplication with supply, strength points and the old morale from last turn. So if any of them is low, then the new morale will be low too - so morale needs a long time to recover from low values and if it drops to 0 it will never again increase (V1.02).

Originally posted by Terif:

HQs only increase readiness for the supported units and have no effect concerning morale (except if they provide better supply).

Morale is (simplified) calculated by multiplication with supply, strength points and the old morale from last turn. So if any of them is low, then the new morale will be low too - so morale needs a long time to recover from low values and if it drops to 0 it will never again increase (V1.02).

I can see the accumulative damage of morale now, and gradual restrengthening, the changes in the patch effected this? It's quite difficult to see how you will go on in SC2 now without keeping units tip top.. even a little laziness in strength below 8 or 9 for certian types of units is deadly and especially if they go a few turns without HQ support... I have found in our games this has held me up several vital turns in various junctures I should've done my homework earlier

Reinforcing increases the strength points - but concerning morale it doesnt help you if you have no supply or already no morale.

If you multiply something with 0, then it always results in 0 even if you increased this something by reinforcing smile.gif .

Just tested it a bit more... smile.gif :

SC2 internally obviously uses the exact numbers, so a unit more or less can not really reach 0% - it is still a bit above and be it at 0.01%...

So sooner or later a morale 0 unit will reach 1% and then slowly but surely recover if at high enough strength+supply - it may take some years, but it recovers :D .

(operating/transporting has no influence)

However, since Hubert already noted this to be improved, it will most likely be fixed in the next patch(s) anyway, so nothing to really worry about smile.gif .

I'd quite like to see some variation in starting morale/readyness:

1) A random factor upon enrollment.

2) A modifier for certain nations. Notably

(A) French Army in 1939: Highly variable and, on the whole, below other great powers. Sometimes they fought like Lions but often not. (B) Post Stalin's Purge Soviet. © Italian Navy and Army.

Its not SUCH a big issue with ground forces as you have the quality of HQ support as a modifier but I particularly think the Italian Navy would behave more historically (ie kind of timid) with this.

I noticed with some RAF units I had station on South Coast of England, Strength 10, was 9 and 8. HQ of 6. Supply of 9... Both units acquired a maximum of 40% Morale after several turns.. That seems worse than it should be, I will have to DOW some minors in order to fix the issue LOL by the time they multiply to 80% war will be over.

I also noticed in a game vs Terif, that his units after DOWing and taking 3 Minors, that Wermacht Soldats had 150% morale or near it in some instances. I suppose I have underestimated how powerful the Axis can be if you know how to employ them. He has perfected them...

To help people out like me who're obviously baffled at low figures, posting a Unit on a City seems to increase readiness more so than full 10 supply to that unit. That is what I've noticed. After placing fighters on City Tiles, I recieved 20-40% boost from depleted Units... even if those units were in 10 supply. I'm baffled, Terif may enlighten us