Is the Battle for France Different?

'O Hubert, bless this Thy SC2 Editor that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine competitors to tiny bits in Thy mercy"......

"And Hubert spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Cursor. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number...

Moses,

Admittedly,

A little aghast... observing

The timely demise -

a' One, anna Two,

anna Three!

Of yet another apostate War game, :eek:

Sabc077.gif

Which, alas, as t'was foretold

By a new!

Jersey prophet,

Hast... NO -- as though

Divinely inspired ... Editor. ;)

(... O, all Yee makers who art

fundamentally lacking in this... mod part,

get thee real busy! :D )

Edwin,

I'm inclined to agree with you concerning the French resistence. I think a lot of it was wartime and postwar propaganda.

But ...

It has to be considered that the Germans had a huge number of divisions always refitting in France, Belgium and Holland. Those three countries were probably much more well garrisoned by German units than than Yugoslavia, Poland and Russia -- also considering the huge expanses in Russia, making it much more difficult for the Axis to cover effectively.

France was not treated anywhere as brutally by Germany as Poland or any number of other countries. There were some massacres, the most notable being the village of Oradour-sur-Glane, by the 2nd SS (Das Reich) Panzer Division, right after D-Day, the killing of 642 civilians of all ages. Horrible though that was, it was an isolated incident and would have been common on the Eastern Front.

The French Resistence, also, operated differently from it's Eastern European counterparts. Mainly it was called upon for information gathering. Once the Allies had actually landed and began making their way inland, the French sprang up wherever it was feasable and were a factor, particularly in disrupting German communications.

In terms of sheer size and firepower, of course, it doesn't compare in any way with Yugoslavia or Russia.

I'm not an expert like some of you at SC1, but it seemed that there was no mechanism to simulate the French rolling over like they did. This resulted in long, drawn out affairs with much higher casualties than historically occurred. (Granted, like I said I may have been doing something horribly wrong.)

Such a feature was implemented in Clash of Steel as the "Blitzkrieg" which would happen in the first clear weather turn of 1940 when the Axis attacked the low countries. The French morale dropped to 30% or so, if I recall. Would such a feature work in SC2 to help France put up the white flag in a more historical manner?

Todd

Always an honor to greet a fellow CoS enthusiast! ;)

I'm not a great SC player but there are numerous AARs in the old SC Forum. If you read through the ones by the top players, such as Terif, Rambo, Zappsweeden, Kuniworth, Liam and a number of others, you'll develop a good feel for doing those things in the SC framework.

The problem is, Germany already crushes France pretty easily! The key factor in the game is to grab the Ardenne's Forest and the French mine behind the Maginot Line. If you're trying to defend France against a good Axis player you find it falling very quickly.

Various players found a good ally counter called the Low Countries Gambit, where England takes Brussels and the key defensive hexes in the Low Countries are occupied by French units while Germany is still busy pulling it's units our of Poland. I believe Rannug and Kuni were the first to use it regularly, but I may be wrong. I know Rannug use it against me in a pair of PBEM games and it tool a very long time for the Axis to reach Paris.

But getting back to the Low Countries situation and France 1940; somehow it does fall quickly, often within the historical June 22nd 1940 date, without using special rules.