I'll chip in $100 for SC1 patch :) [total current pledged $200]

Hello Guys, I'm interesting in starting a "SC1 patch" drive. I'll start by fronting $100 to fix things. Please post if you're interested. I'll also donate $5 per victory against Icons. I'll donate $5 for losses against lame-O's.

[ June 17, 2006, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

Brother Rambo,

I thought Hubert said, a few times, that the system he used for SC-1 won't expand any further, or something along those lines.

So he developed the new system that would be easier to open up down the road. As I understand it, of course -- wouldn't presume to answer for Hubert.

Those are only my interpretations of his comments, I'm not that knowing about software.

Might be more reasonable asking for a hex based game similar to SC-1 but in a more advanced system. Guess it would be called SC-Unleashed or something. A lot of us would like that.

Anyway, SC-2 is still in it's early stages, I think. The original game didn't really get there till around V1.05.

You can count my 100$ in.

SCII is a disapointement for me too :-(

Better then most 50$ games, of course, but ALOT less fun then it should/could be.

IMHO too much time went to things like engineers (how many people use this really, I used it exactly 3 games, lol), diplo (where the only way to go is that both sides spend money on spain and Turkey), convoy lanes and moving rockets (yes, we were all waiting for that).

The first two weeks were fun, yes. And the first two hours after every patch too, because you somehow hope that they fixed some REAL problems (like, say, I don't know, D-Day or using planes as front troops) but no, the major problems are still there.

I blame the people here that shout "the AI doesn't matter". Obviously Hubert listens to them and totally ignores the AI problems.

Sad :-(

Well, in any case I do not even have anything against patching SC1 a bit further except that I rather would like the time needed for that go into faster patches for SC2. However, Paradox, for example, still patched EU1 (a bit) even while EU2 was already out, and Matrixgames also had some patches for UV despite WITP. There are always people preferring the older versions for one reason or other (for example, I prefer UV to WITP)

However, I do not think that the AI or anything else for that matter is better in SC1 than in SC2 for the time being ... so I do not really understand the request. You even can disable things like diplomacy in SC2 if you don´t like them.

I NEVER understood why the AI was such a secondary issue to Hubert and a lot of you guy's. A lot of time I just want to sit down and play a game quickly, and I don't really want to go find a human person every single time. But in reality SC2 (and 1) are useless to play single player, you can have some fun if you use your imagination and actually go easy on the computer to extend the FN war, but other then that it is a turkey-shoot.

The AI does such AMAZINGLY stupid thing's it is like it was programmed by someone who didn't even know what WWII was!

TIME and TIME again we asked for this and that to be fixed on the AI, and TIME and TIME again nothing got done, the AI in SC2 is just as bad as SC1 but twice as disapointing. I don't even want to get into it since it is useless and i'm typing to the wall, but the computers complete lack of battlfield awareness and total focus on capturing/defending cities is sad and pisspoor, lazy programming.

I paid my good money and I'll point out all the stupid things you have done with this game. Thanks for wasting hours of my time reading and writing feedback, $50 of my HARDEARNED money, and my aggravation. In short, thanks for nothing.

Night, I´m a singleplayer gamer just like you, and I also think the AI wanting. However, I have some faith in it getting improved considerably. Sure, if that will not be the case, then I will also go and buy my games elsewhere in the future. Ok, only time will tell ...

But, as said, I´m rather confident that the wheels are in motion AI-wise. Also, the scripting work of guys like Normal Dude and Edwin make a big difference.

It's hard finding enough time to go against human adversaries.

A lot of us have been saying for years that what we really want is a game that plays well in solataire, either through game design or because the AI is brilliant, whatever it takes.

As I'm sure Hubert and other game designers know there are many players out there who really want to play the computer and nothing else, I can only assume there must be insurmountable barriers to creating a capable AI opponent.

-- Hopefully we'll have one in the not too distant future.

Rambo, I forgot for a moment that you don´t care about the AI ... However, then it even more seems that you just want parameters changed for SC1 in a patch which you simply can access and change in SC2 through the editor to basically get the same result.

So instead of raising cash for a patch, maybe someone could instead make a SC1-mod for SC2? (It´s not as silly as it sounds. People do this with other game-series, too.)

The only thing inherently better in SC1 is that it has hexes, but even this is not as big a deal as I once thought it would be.

Commander-Europe at War ... hmm ... this game probably deserves discussion in its own thread. Many people think it will be just a SC2 clone. Anyway, the only really good new idea I heard they have so far is that cities will be different in what they are worth so that they can include lots of different minor cities without screwing overall game balance. Yes I have sympathy for the project, for we can´t have enough of these games, can we? But it´s too early to say whether it will be a serious competitor - especially in the AI department.