Highres grass and win95c oddity

Hi,

the same machine, Matrox G-400 16 MB, Dx 7A.

Running under Windows 95c, I can see highress grass only up to 1152x900 resolution. Perfect smoke, transparent building in any resolution, but highres grass only up to that.

Running Windows 98 SE, I can see highres grass up to max resolution of my monitor, 1920x<whatever>.

How come?

When you go beyond 1152 x 900 under Win95c what do you see in place of the high-res grass, is it the low-res grass replacement textures ?

The only thing I can guess is that Win98 has native support for AGP whereas Win95 doesn't. Win95 uses a combination of a USB patch (that Microsoft doesn't offer anymore) and DirectX 5.0+ to actually support AGP video cards. I'm not sure if this support extends to fully supporting all AGP functions including texture swapping, etc.

Yes, lack of AGP support was the problem.

Install usbsupp.exe from the CD (why is that not default?), then set graphics driver to "Standard VGA", then reinstall graohics card driver, problem solved.

I mean, Of Course I have to install the USB support drivers to get my 3D card to work properly, that really goes without saying, I wonder how I could missed that obvious idea in first place.

just FYI, its not the default because when 95 came out, USB was not (: OEM's started putting USB on their machines, but didn't have a Windows OS that supported them, so at their request, MS made the B/C versions of 95 for OEM's Only...you cannot buy a B or C version of Win95 by itself, it only came with new machines, and technically MS doesn't have to support it (or didn't have too, now they don't support 95 unless you pay cash). As far as MS is concerned, if you need USB or AGP support, you should just get Win98 (the only Official Supportable option). Its a confusing topic, and it generated many support calls...thats the answer (;