Hi,

I have read on the Battlefront page about editing SC2 BUT I have played Panzer General 2 and there they edit EVERYTHING up to graphics, change flags, create new units and yes even hack the game!

So will I be able to edit graphics in SC2, or create new units with a unit editor if there is one?

I believe, from reading earlier posts, that the answers are;

Yes,

Yes, so long as the number of unit types remains the same.

As for me, I am looking forward to creating a scenario for Ancient Rome where the spotting range for all units is 1 and access to technology advances is severely limited.

Edwin P. for your Ancient-Rome Scenario...where the spotting range is = 1... you could incorporate SCOUT'S in your game and get updated information from your riders...although it would be days old information...but, information non-the-less.

That would still be better than no information at all...and help at least to some degree in your Campaign planning!.

Find out how far an average Legion marched each day...and how far Barbarian tribes would move each day and approximately to what distance from their home territory before they would go no further.

Befriending Some tribes could result in getting good or more reliable information on forces hostile to 'ROME'!.

let me know when you are interested in more ideas or input...i and other's would like to help out as we are able too!.

Retributor - Great points. I will certainly be asking for ideas and input after the game is released, as a large part of any design will depend upon the functionality of the underlying game system.

That said I like your idea for scouts. Perhaps Strength 1 or 2 Cavalry units, certain to be destroyed if they encounter something but just strong enough to give you an idea of where the enemy is, along with the tiles changing color as they advance.

To a certain degree I see combat as being like like Rock / Paper and Scissors.

Roman Legion Beats Phalanx

Phalanx Beats Cavalry

Cavalry Beats Legion

To the extent that units will have Infantry Attack / Infantry Defense / Cavalry Attack / Cavalry Defense /Archry Attack / Archery Defense / Mounted Archers Attack / Mounted Archers Defense

Perhaps: Legion

Infantry Attack +3

Infantry Defense +3

Cavalry Attack +1

Cavalry Defense +2

Mounted Archers Attack +1

Mounted Archers Defense +2

Gauls

Infantry Attack +3

Infantry Defense +2

Cavalry Attack +1

Cavalry Defense +1

Mounted Archers Attack +1

Mounted Archers Defense +1

Naturally Roman will face soft limits on the number of Legions that they can field and they will have the option to hire mercenaries from conquered nations. Persia will have a high limit on the number of units they can field, but they will not be as powerful as the Roman units.

Movement across ocean tiles will be extremely risky while movement along coastal sea tiles will be much safer. Perhaps create a weather zone that covers only the ocean tiles not adjacent to a coastal tile?

[ June 20, 2005, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

I've been thinking (always dangerous) about the things that needs to be changed for a "quadruple default map" game : a game with the same map as the default one but with all hexes four times as small, so fronts will have twice as many hexes

- # of troops : twice as much or perhaps even four times as much, needed to defend a front.

- # of production points : idem as # of troops, needed to buy the units

- # of turns (which is basically the same as length of turns) : one-two-four weeks instead of two-four-eigth, else you'll never get to Moscou in time (and I don't want a regular game to end in 1950 too !)

- # of units per HQ : idem as # of troops.

- range of HQ : twice as far

- range of aircrafts : twice as far

- spotting of all units (usefullness is debatable) : twice as far

- number of cities (usefullness is debatable)

Is all this in there ?

And what else is needed ?

(apperently my old login isn't active anymore, blah)

[ June 21, 2005, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: yogol ]