Sound Problem

i just got a new computer, alienware pIV 1.7g 512mb ram, geforce 4 ti4400 128mb, soundblaster live. 4 speaker set up, windows xp.

everything seems to working fine (of course CM is the most important thing to load and check first, lol) but i don't have sound in my rear speakers. i know they work, they work for windows sound and another game, but CM only comes through the front two, not the back. was curious if this a problem with xp? not that big of a deal but i miss full surround combat!

I'm not sure how much sound will actually come from the rear speakers in a session of CMBO. I know that it uses 'stereo-panning' to simulate sounds in reference to your facing/location, etc. But I'm not sure if any use is made of the rear channels. You may need to have additional software loaded up for your soundcard (EAX, etc.) that may affect this. Essentially it would be taking a stereo signal and pushing it through 4+1 (or 5+1) speakers - an artificial effect.

As far as I'm aware CMBO only puts out a stereo (2 channel) signal (though many of the sounds are actually mono). Panning is used to give the 3D audio effect, but there isn't discrete support for rear channels as far as I'm aware. The issue most likely is the software that is actually loaded up for your soundcard. You probably had some environmental effects or something else enabled that sent the sound to the rear channels. Drivers for each OS can also make a difference for this. Is your Multimedia/sound control panel have the speakers defined as Quad front and back pairs ?

SB live and XP here too.

After the messy install of new drivers from Creative I have it working, sort of.

I have sound in the rear speakers in CM, very low though, and only when speaker layout is set to quadraphonic (or whatever a 4 speaker setup is called in English) .

My problem is that XP constantly, and by that I mean daily, forgets the setting and reverts to the default "stereo speakers for computer" setting.

--

M.

Originally posted by Mattias:

I have sound in the rear speakers in CM, very low though, and only when speaker layout is set to quadraphonic (or whatever a 4 speaker setup is called in English) .

My problem is that XP constantly, and by that I mean daily, forgets the setting and reverts to the default "stereo speakers for computer" setting.

You might want to make sure that your settings are set for 4 speakers in the Audio HQ speaker applet that should be loaded if you have the latest SB drivers. It's an annoyance that I order not to run at startup, but those settings do adjust the soundcard settings after startup (as in... after the system sound applet initializes), so make sure that the speaker settings in Audio HQ are set for quad.

If it's not installed, then... never mind...