Standards are lowering!!

Indeed you are my boy! Now lets go over to the general forum and go INAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!!!!!!!!

(hint; there is a great thread discussing if Gaylord Focker is Leutnant Hortlunds father. Think you'll enjoy it. I'd say it's inane, but how inane? Dunno maybe not inane if you count Kaptain Karl's standards???? )

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yogi

People who regularly read the threads should jump in and add to them. That's all there is to it.

Quantity vs Quality. Well, there are guys running around BF with way over 10,000 posts but many of them were in things like add three words to the last post , etc, at the GF. Some of them have also had many, many meaningful posts as well, perhaps thousands of them, but in other cases it's mainly 10,000 pieces of meaningless fluff.

I'm not a big fan of quantity. I think members should contribute to the subject, which in this case means either through offering historical observations or something similar that pertains to the game being developed or improved.

In my own case, if I had to go for ballpark figures, I'd say the breakdown would be something like this:

Meaningful = 1,500

Adding to a meaningful discussion = 2,000

Frivolous or nonessential to SC = 3,000

I don't feel apologetic about that. In my opinion most of the major contributors help move things along about half the time. Some of us also like to joke around. If that's dragging the standard down so what? We're the ones who established the standard and it seems appropriate that we should be the ones to lower the bar once in a while. Perhaps that sounds a bit aloof or arrogant, I hope not, and it wasn't intended that way, but it's the only way I can express it.

As for long time lurking, that's fine, but it does as much to help the game designer as a fan watching a game on television is doing to improve his favorite team. I've never looked down on people who prefer not to post. But for someone to suddenly pop in and pop off about the content is like moving into a new neighborhood and telling your neighbors you think they're all cretins.

Comrade Trapp didnt know you wanted a response, ;)

The real reason I wrote this topic is to get KUNI to "just calm down" with all his one liners. I probably should have just said KUNI please add better comments but I was writing quickly. I actually was just messing with Kuni a little and it spiraled into this long thread. I definately see what you and JJ are saying about every post not needing to be profound.Thats why I thought it was no big deal if I joke with him a bit. I even started a separate thread as to not jump on someones back(ie change the topic).But oh well, the forum "spies" decided to come out of hiding and bust my balls. :rolleyes: . Atleast KUNI stopped writing" be calm." ;) Now it just EVERYONE else!!!! :(:D:Dtongue.gif

[ January 09, 2006, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: beginner's luck ]

Beginner's Luck,

None of my remarks here have been aimed either at you or this particular thread, which I do indeed find both insightful and profound, like yourself. ;):D

Nor have they been aimed at Yogi or Keegan or anyone else specifically. Mainly I'm talking in general terms about various new members we've had who arrived, told us we were a bunch of (censored) and promptly left again.

One of them arrived with someone else proclaiming him to be a great and well known wargame personality (no, I don't mean our Canadian friend, who I honestly do regard as a friend). And this famous wargamer, whatever that was supposed to mean, made some belittling remarks and that was the end of his presence. While he was here he acted as though the rest of us were supposed to be bowing down to him. :D

So, I've been holding all of this boring drek in for three years now and finally decided to bore everybody with it.

:rolleyes: Okay, so I also bored everyone with it last year and the year before and the year before that. ;)

Originally posted by JerseyJohn:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by beginner's luck:

Please can someone come up with a good topic for this forum to talk about. Now all I see is

" Now lets all calm down in here" and that picture. If that is all this place has come too we are in troube. It was funny the first six times but now its old when thats all thats said EVERY post. :eek: :(tongue.gif

There's a sure cure for that, BL.

Start a fascinating thread yourself and set the new standard.

Using the same picture six times was intentional as it was in response to the same profound statment about calming down.

These threads are not intended to carry the wisdom of the ages. Only passing thoughts on a wargame and some historical tid-bits. Anything deeper than that is a bonus.

Appreciate the good posts instead of complaining about the not so good ones. It's all part of the same package. Aside from which, in all the time I've been here I've never, NEVER, pointed a finger and said one thing was good and something else bad. If I'm not interesting in something, don't like it, or don't think I've got something to add, I just don't post there. </font>

SSI0015916_P.JPG

I guess,

As can happen,

'Ol white rabbit got the best, yet again,

Of our hapless SC Stage Magician,

Concerning what is in-the-hat fact,

And what's mesmerizing... suggestion? ;)

**[... with deep apologies to all who don't like ANY off topic bleeping around... :eek: ]

JJ, is that the ole vaunted "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate" award?

That was from Rowan and Martin's "Laugh In". Man that was along time ago...great show...can you believe it was cancelled for its controversial subject matter in light of the shows nowadays.

I got a real good laugh from that just reminiscing.

My oh my how times change....that's it I give the ole FFFofF award to all the broadcasting media for being so inept.

Any more awards????? Not like there aren't tons of candidates.

Ah, Great SeaMonkey, Yes!

I found it while searching for "Pointing Finger" and was afraid someone would come up with the idea it was Shooting the Bird or something. Glad you recognize it and remember what it was from.

That was a great show and I agree, compared to the ones that came later it was tame indeed. Hell, a few years earlier people were talking about the Beatles outragious hairstyle, before that decade ended they were practically looking, and sounding, conservative. ;)

Pat Paulson for President -- so what if he's dead, he can't do any worse than most of the others. tongue.gif

Originally posted by beginner's luck:

LOL Keegan,

Now you sound like I was.What has this forum done to me.lol KUNI- JJ please help me!!!

Oh no, I fear we'll arrive too late.

When you're call rang out, Kuni was busy working on a project ...

Frankie%204.jpg

And I was off with a young lady.

robmonster44c.jpg

Thanks Agent S., and it sure was. ;)

At one site a lady sent me a PM saying she heard it was a photo of me and my wife on our honeymoon and she wanted to know where I found the costume. :D

I've been looking for some of the other Golden Oldies and am planning to use them again, like that alien from the Twilight Zone episode. :cool:

BL

Ritired Navy! When I was working for the I. R. S. thirty years ago (true, I'll go to hell for that job), we were trained by examining obviously bogus forms with unlikely details. Upon finishing the course I sat down to look at my first return from a real human being. It was something like this:

Harold Waters

xx Ocean Drive

Neptune, xx

-- Retired Naval Officer. Hmmmm? :D